Yet another situation... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Yet another situation...

What's with all these neglectful cat owners lately? So there's this cat who lives two door down from me. Hes indoors most of the time but the guy lets him out for an hour or two a day. He stays in the neighbourhood and everyone knows him. He shouldn't be outdoors to begin with. He is super friendly... Runs up to everyone flips over for a belly rub and starts to head butt you like crazy all the while purring like a motor boat and rubbing up against you. He approaches everything and won't defend himself, just runs away. Here's the problem.

Yesterday I was walking my dog and I heard a car honking like crazy on the main road that leads to the busy service road. It was the cat(don't know his name we have been calling him buddy). He was sitting in the middle of the road in front of the car and would not move. The car went around him. He still wouldn't move so I approached him with my dog(he's kind of scared of dogs) and shooed him to the grass. A few hours later I see him outside again wandering around. Then in the evening when we are putting out recycling we see him again. He started digging through recycling licking the old cans of cat food. Hmmm he had been outside all day and was starving. I bring him out a few treats and he scarfs them down. So I bring him a handful and he mows them. I noticed that he seemed really skinny compared to a few weeks ago.

Later that night I hear commotion outside, a different neighbour was out and her poodle was chasing something. It was the cat again, he was still out. The neighbour was petting him. So this morning bf goes to work and a few minutes after he left he comes back in and says come outside. The cat is on our porch again meowing. He was still outside!!! So I bring him some dry food and he inhales it, his coat is dry and full of dandruff so I bring him grain free wet with salmon oil on it, I leave it out for him. He ate half of it and when I went back out he was gone.

I am worried. I left more dry on the porch in case he's still out. There was a car in the owners driveway but I haven't seen anyone all weekend. There's no way for him to get In and out because it is a townhouse complex and pet doors arnt allowed.

I don't know if I should knock on his door or not? The cat will probably keep coming to my house for food now. I have no clue if the guy has been feeding him but it doesn't seem like it. I already have three cats and can't afford to feed him daily but I also don't want him to starve. :s

Last edited by 3furbabies; 08-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Oh and I forgot to mention this cat has no collar, id, tags or any contact info. I also highly doubt he is microchipped.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

I would talk to the guy. Maybe if he realizes that his cat is HANGING OUT IN THE ROAD he'll catch a clue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Tom Cat

That's a tricky situation. They could be out of town or something or they may have decided to make him an outside cat . I guess you could just go over there and say, hey, did you know your cat is out, he almost got hit by a car...and see what they say and then go from there.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

If I see the guy sitting outside this evening I'll say something, I don't really want to make enemies yet since we have only been here a few months. I'm going to stop feeding him though. He doesn't look like he is outdoors only though, he's in good shape considering. Maybe the people were away but still you should leave him inside when you are gone. Ugh. Poor thing he is such a sweetheart too. I'd be heart broken if something happened to him.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Check your local laws--some municipalities have laws that require all cats allowed to free-range be collared and wear licenses. You can turn him in anonymously.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Cool Cat

I don't have any advice, but I feed Guy (my name for him) who seems to have been abandoned, doesn't turn up every day, and is not thin.

I think some people leave their cats out while they are away in the belief that cats can feed themselves. When I had Zenobi, a ginger cat used to come around. I think he lived on the corner of the next block over. One time he came marching into the kitchen and went over to Zenobi's food and started eating. He's gone now and I think he must have fallen to one of the coyotes or raccoons we have in the neighbourhood.

Zenobi was allowed out for short periods to eat grass. I try to keep Missy inside; different cats, different personalities.

The ginger is not the only cat who has come around

JusJim
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
Check your local laws--some municipalities have laws that require all cats allowed to free-range be collared and wear licenses. You can turn him in anonymously.
I'll have to look into it, but the amount of strays in the city indicate they don't care and or do anything about it. Unfortunately the local shelter is extremely high kill and they are very understaffed so I am scared to report him.

Ya it depends on the cat but I have a feeling this situation will end badly. The cat seems fairly young(around 1-2 yrs?) and I think they must have just got him before we moved in because we were asked by a few people in the neighbourhood if he was our cat because people know we have cats. They may have even rescued him off the street if he was already a stray... Although he seems much too friendly to be a stray. I'll have to pry some neighbours to see if anyone has any info on him. Everyone pets him and plays with him so someone has to know something
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm going to give you bad advice. If it were me, I would steal him and see how long it takes the neighbors to notice. If they never notice, then they don't need the cat. If the notice, then I would inform them that I'd taken him in on because he was almost hit by a car and hungry.

But, my real advice is that this is a difficult situation. I personally can't let my cats be indoor/outdoor or outdoor alone. I tried it once with Mew my Siamese. She had escaped three times on me and was meowing so much that she wasn't letting me sleep more than twenty minutes a night. So, I let her out around 4am and was anxious all morning. It causes me too much stress to let my cats roam. Now when Mew wants outside, we go for a walk on a leash.

If you approach the neighbor, try to be as polite as you can. Remember some people just simply don't care. Other just don't understand the dangers. Proceed with caution and try to be diplomatic. Good luck hun.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Tom Cat

Are you positive he belongs to someone and the guy isn't just feeding him or something? I ask because you said some neighbors thought he was yours, maybe everyone is now just assuming it's this guys cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page