Cost effective to build your own Cat Tree/Condo? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cost effective to build your own Cat Tree/Condo?

I would like to get my cats a cat tree/condo that stands about 55-60" tall. Ive seen them in stores in the $120-150 range. I've seen them online for $80-100. I've also seen various plans to build your own. Has anyone here built one before? Is it cost effective to buy material and spend the time to build one?

I would like one similar to this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

Generally no, it's not, esp. if you value your time! I made mine using this book a million years ago:

GREAT book and the world's best cat trees, but not easy. I got the tree limbs for free, but had to spend hours pawing through limbs at a tree surgeon's yard to get the right pieces. The Sonotube isn't expensive ($30 maybe for the whole tree) and then you need nails, carpet adhesive, a staple gun, and staples. If you can get a decent carpet remnant for free you don't have to pay for it.

But making a good-looking and stable tree (and stable is EVERYTHING w/ cat furniture) isn't easy. I have tons of carpentry experience and it was still a royal PITA. Given how cheap these things are these days (at least the less attractive ones made by Armakat, etc.) I would buy one rather than making one.

Right now I'm in the process of re-covering the perches on my tree (mentioned above). I can't remove them to recover them so it's even worse the second time around LOL.

I also just purchased a cat tree b/c I really never want to go through making one again.

If you do decide to make one, get the Ney book. That way at least you'll be making a really GOOD one!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
Your pic didn't show up, BTW. Post a link.
Thanks for the info.

Link below

Plan Details Cat Tower Staircase Perch Directions Griddlebone Staircase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Cat Addict

Actually the pic is working fine.

I have a similar tree..but my cat prefers using the stairs
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

The George Ney trees are, IMO, nicer. They use real tree branches, which cats love, and the perches are curved (made of Sonotube, which is builder's form), which is very comfy for cats.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
The George Ney trees are, IMO, nicer. They use real tree branches, which cats love, and the perches are curved (made of Sonotube, which is builder's form), which is very comfy for cats.
Have you seen them for sale anywhere?

This tree looks interesting (and cheap) but based on the dimensions, it seems a bit small. The top platform is only 12".

52" Cat Tower Tree Condo Scratcher Furniture Kitten House Hammock Bed Deluxe New | eBay
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Cat

I have two towers. This "premium" one by Amarkat:

And this one that I designed and built myself:

It was ENTIRELY cost effective to build my own, and the one I built is more popular with my big boys than the "large" Armarkat one. There is almost always a cat or two, or three in the home made tower, where the other is kind of a back up.

Of course, I didn't get carried away with gagdets, tubes, tunnels, and what not with the one I built.... but I think that stuff is more for humans than cats.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
And this one that I designed and built myself:

It was ENTIRELY cost effective to build my own, and the one I built is more popular with my big boys than the "large" Armarkat one. There is almost always a cat or two, or three in the home made tower, where the other is kind of a back up.

Of course, I didn't get carried away with gagdets, tubes, tunnels, and what not with the one I built.... but I think that stuff is more for humans than cats.
I like the one you designed. I don't think my cats would care about tubes or hideaways, they just like to lounge on a high location. Do you happen to have any plans for the one you made? How much did it cost in materials?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Ghostown, I can see why your cats like it. The perches are a good size and it's in good location-right next to the windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1001 View Post
Have you seen them for sale anywhere?
No--the Ney trees are make-yourself only these days. See the book to which I linked above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page