letting kitty go outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

letting kitty go outside

if you had a cat that hates living inside...would you let him go outside and be free?

Remember when i posted about my friend's cat getting outside and how they didnt bother to look for him. Well he still hasnt returned home. They are not looking for him either. So my friend told me that this cat hates living inside. so it seems liks that they dont care about him b/c he is outside somewhere.

So today my friend comes online and tells me that they adopted a kitten. A 4 month old black kitten. he is cute i must say. but i am worried that he might get outside some day. on the plus side...he is microchipped.

get this...she said the mom cat was orange/white. she had a litter of different color kittens. 2 blacks,a grey,a cali,and a torite. so that makes you wonder what color the dad was. or maybe there were other dad cats???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Cat Addict

i've never lived anywhere it would be safe to let a cat out. i've either been downtown or evergreen. evergreen is nice and natural but i think there's far too much wildlife to preoccupy a cat and then it would get into trouble.

you can't worry about every slipshod cat owner there is, it's too frustrating. it's just like people you know shouldn't be parents--you can't go around telling people they're too stupid or careless to have kids.
(well you can but you'll end up making a lot of enemies.) i find it easier to not be friends with people i think are careless with their pets or children.

i've heard that cats can have multiple sires for one litter, but i think that's probably as rare as the woman who had twins where one was black and the other was white.

at least they chipped the kitten.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Tom Cat

I would not let cats go outside especially in an urban/suburban area.

Yesterday, on my way to work I saw a dead kitty on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMayWilcha View Post
I personally would not be friends with someone who has that kind attitude.
Very much this. Quality over quantity when it comes to friends.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Cat Addict

The norm for my cats over the years has been indoor / outdoor and some of them have been ferals who have taken months if not years to set foot voluntarily inside at all. I cannot imagine how anyone can have this cavalier attitude towards any cat - whether he / she wants to be inside or not. This person does not deserve to have a new kitten.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Kitten

Both my cats have free reign of the outdoors , but if someone is not willing to go out to look for their cat if it goes missing , it indicates that he/she isnt responsible enough. Having said that , because your friend adopted the kitten and got it microchipped , it seems like he/she does care. Weird situation .
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatnfluffy View Post
Having said that , because your friend adopted the kitten and got it microchipped , it seems like he/she does care. Weird situation .
The kitten likely came chipped by the shelter it was adopted from, so it doesn't say anything about the person's responsibility level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Premier Cat

First off do you know which shelter or rescue they got this kitten from? I would let them know the history of this person so they will be put on a no adopt list when this poor kitten goes missing too.

Next, sit down or email this person. Tell them all thaat can happen to a cat that is let outside. Inform them that when you adopt a indoor cat you have responsibilities to keep this cat happy. Cat trees, window seats, daily play activities, decent food, clean litter boxes and vet care.

If they turn a deaf ear, well theyve been told. May karma do a royal number on them. Then walk away from this friendship. They do not display the character you would want in people in your life. They are heartless and purposely ignorant cruel individuals
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Cat

Where i live there are no laws against having an out door cat. It happens. There are areas of the world where they would not think of having "indoor" cats. That would be cruel.

I, myself am totaly for the indoor option. When I was young we had indoor/outdoor cats and the life expentancy is 4 yrs. I found that to be true. More than once a cat did not come home and was found dead on the highway. Not a good day for a young gal I was.

That was a bit of a tangent, I guess what I ment to say is the best you can do is educate but you cant make a person listen.

tamara
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Cool Cat

I never had outdoor cat and would never have one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page