How many cats is too many? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How many cats is too many?

My cousin found a piece in her local newspaper advertising kittens for sale. Being around my cat has sort of put her in the mood so we went along to the breeders home to have a look.

This breeder had about twenty odd cats in her small two bedroom apartment. I counted about four litter boxes. No beds or toys and one large litterbox that was used as a feeding bowl for all the cats. The kittens and their Mom was kept locked in the bathroom for their own protection. The house was clean but the room the litterboxes were in had a strong smell. There were cats fighting everywhere.

My cousin decided against buying the kitten and instead went to her local shelter, but we can't get over this woman's house. I have one cat and it takes all my time to give him the attention he wants. I know people here have more, but how many is too many? The all can't get the attention they need from this woman.

I can't get the cats out of my mind. I'm sure the woman is good to them, but can it be good to be around that many cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Cat Addict

twenty cats? really? well, i think even ten cats in a two-bedroom apartment is too many. i think four cats in that space would be tops, but there are shelters where many more than that are in one room. i wouldn't be able to tolerate more than three cats and i have a fair amount of space. that doesn't qualify more than three as hoarding, but twenty in a private residence probably is on the hoarding side.

good for who? the cats or people? since there are so many cats in a shelter, i don't think it's psychologically damaging to a cat even if it isn't ideal. that's not nearly enough litterboxes though. why are there so many cats there? i would think in an apartment building that the smell would bother other tenants.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Premier Cat

I have two cats in a two bedroom with PLENTY of vertical space and...... s ometimes it seems pretty crowded. I could do any more in my space....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Cat

Wow, seems like a hoarder to me. No wonder she has kittens. I wonder how many cats are unaltered. It worries me that they are all fighting... Though I'm not surprised. I had 3 cats and a dog in a two bedroom apartment. I was tripping on them all the time. Now I am in a three bedroom townhouse am at my limit. In the future I don't want more than two cats and 1 dog at a time. Everyone has their preferences but 20 cats in such a small space doesn't seem
Healthy...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Cat Addict

I was going to say Hoarder Alert!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Jr. Cat

I stopped watching the show hoarders because of the animal carcasses hidden under trash. Its so gross and scary.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Banned

It's probably possible to care properly for 20 cats, but you would need to be quite wealthy and have a huge house, set up for cats. So not for most people.

My personal rule about how many critters I have is that I have to be able to care for them all WELL--the best food, medical care when they need it no matter what, and a great, stimulating and safe environment. That doesn't mean that I'm rich, but it does mean that I have backup sources of funds (credit card, HELOC) that I'm willing to spend on them if necessary. That's how I determine my numbers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Cat Addict

As someone with six cats and a dog (as well as a horse) perhaps I shouldn't comment!!

Joking aside I find this worrying. Maybe this may be a hoarder in the making but I am equally afraid that this may be a cat mill. I am afraid the fighting might have been partly sexual and that this woman may be churning out kittens for unwary buyers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

Well, I have you beat (3 dogs, 4 cats, 2.5 horses, 2 goldfish, 2 chickens, and a tortoise!)!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Tom Cat

Too many!!!!

I am thinking about getting a playmate for Gadget but that would probably be my limit for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page