Moving home update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Moving home update

Hi all, hope everyone is good! How is everyone?

I thought I'd do a little update as some people have given me some valuable advice on here over the past couple of weeks.

I've literally just brought Harry home to our new house. He was pawing to get out of his carrier before we even had time to get his things set up in the appointed "Harry room".

I let him out and straight away he was roaming around the room. He has adventured into every upstairs room so far, tail swishing but not seeming too distressed. In fact he had a little lie down on the landing, he even purred, but I'm not sure if that is stress. I used feliway catitude spray before bringing him to try & reduce it.

As I type he has just come up and nudged my arm for a stroke! He's purring now as I stroke him

He hasn't been brave enough to go downstairs just yet, but I hope it stays as positive as this. I was really expecting him to be stressed and upset.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Cat

Congrats and sounds like he is doing great! I put the serenity collar on my three when we moved and put them in their cat room upstairs too. They had the same reactions.... Exploring upstairs and later in the day they explored downstairs. They didn't go to the basement on their own till a few days later( its finished) except my oldest was wary of the basement until recently she is going down more and more. Put a scratching post and toys on every floor to make him feel welcome.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Tom Cat

So glad things went well.
I too moved a week ago, both Ritz (3 years old), resident cat, and Lacey/Ace (7 months old), a cat I am fostering. Ritz and Ace have never met although I did some scent swaping. Ritz stayed in the cat carrier for an hour, then under the bed for about 12 hours, but ventured out tentatively exploring at midnight. In about four days, she was feeling somewhat at home. Still afraid of the traffic outside, I guess she feels the vibrations from the cars. (I lived on the third floor of a condo building; now I live in a townhouse.) She likes to look out the windows a bit *too* much, watching the birds and she doesn't nap on my lap as much. Ace/Lacey stayed in her cat carrier for about 30 seconds and explored the 2nd bedrom thoroughly. Ritz knows she's there, but unless Ace is pawing at the door to be let out, Ritz kind of ignores her.
Lacey is scheduled to go to her Forever Home today which is good and sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks 3furbabies/Ritz! He seems to be doing well which is a relief, but I'm still feeling very guilty for uprooting him.

It's a pain in the behind typing this on my phone as I can't see what you previously wrote, the sooner we get internet installed the better!

3furbabies, all of his things (food, litter, scratch post, toys) are in my bedroom at the moment, I didn't want to spread them out too much incase he didn't want to venture, but as soon as he is more comfortable going downstairs I will move them.

Ritz, how are you feeling about Lacey going to her new home? Are you okay? Glad to hear your move went well too. I'm going to get Harry a stick on the window bird feeder, as he likes to sit on windowsills too.

He's now crunching on his dry food biscuits! Phew! Glad he still has his appetite

I wondered, how do you guys water your cats? I have never seen him drink from his bowl, occasionally he will sit in the sink and demand water from the tap, but I don't know what he does the rest of the time! He was an outdoor cat at my parents so maybe he drank outside, who knows!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Tom Cat

Lynxy, kind of sad kind of glad. Ace/Lacey was a cat I rescued two months ago, who was living close to the feral/stray/abandoned cat colony I took care of for two years. She is a reminder of that, kind of like holding onto a special stuffed animal for 20 years. But an eight month old kitten has LOTS of energy and she has quite a different personality from Ritz. The person adopting her has never had a cat before but has pet sat; Lacey is a great first cat. (Ritz, well, let just say as a person who had never been around cats before, I learned a lot, fast, through trial and error, gut instinct, and these Forums.) And I need some stress-free weeks before I go on vacation and 'abandon' Ritz for 10 days.
I feed Ritz raw, so she gets most of her water from her food. I put the water bowl next to her food bowl and cat grass.
PS: I put Rescue Remedy in Ritz' food and had three Feliway plug ins going. I also placed my furniture in the same position as it was in the condo, as much as possible. I think the drugs and furniture placement helped Ritz progress as far as she has. When she hears the cars and traffic, I reassure her, "it's okay honey, it's okay". Slowly working. I also started telling her a week before we moved what a great place, wonderful thing we were moving to.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Aww, I couldn't foster, I think I'd become too attached, and H doesn't really like other cats.

It's really good what you do though, i admire you

I think I'm going to get something like the rescue remedy to put in his food just to help the transition. I need some good ideas for indoor fun though, usually when he is bored (and I'm not in) he will go outside and watches the world. he sits in the driveway waiting for people to get in from work. I think I'm gonna get that birdy toy everyone raves about, but I don't know what to buy for him to entertain himself when he is alone!

What sort of raw stuff do you feed Ritz, and is it an expensive diet? Currently i feed Harry wet & dry. Whatever is on offer really though just the generic whiskers etc, though sometimes he gets special treats, cat food pate and stuff.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ritz, how did everything go re Lacey & her forever home? Hope you are not too sad!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxy View Post
I wondered, how do you guys water your cats? I have never seen him drink from his bowl, occasionally he will sit in the sink and demand water from the tap, but I don't know what he does the rest of the time! He was an outdoor cat at my parents so maybe he drank outside, who knows!
Two of my three drink out of the bowl and the third does what yours does. Anytime she sees me drinking bottled water, etc, she hops beside me and tries to drink from it. Or the sink. She use to drink from a bowl but I don't see her anymore. I have been syringe feeding her water lately to make sure she is hydrated (she is the one who refuses wet food).

How is he doing with exploring? Has he gone to other parts of the house yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page