Question about litterboxes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question about litterboxes

Just wanted some opinions here. I have three minions. When I adopted Kieran, Archibald and Winston had been sharing a box. Not by my choosing but because While I had provided one for each, Winston immediately began using the one Archibald used and after months of having a full clean un-touched box I got rid of it. Then came Kieran, and again I provided another box. When he was in his 'safe room' he of course used it, and when we swapped out the other two used it too. Now that everyone is friendly theres no need for the safe room ( according to Kieran it was kitten jail anyways) I have the same unused fresh pristine box of litter just chilling. I am planning to get rid of it if after the next month it remains untouched. Opinions? Also, are my cats weirdos? Ive never seen cats share willingly when there are other fresh boxes available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Tom Cat

If it's working then I'd go with it. Maybe keep the second one around a while just to be sure. My three would never share one box, Tigerlily is a clean freak and basically has her own box. The others have access to it but choose to use the one downstairs. I actually just brought in an uncovered box when I got my fosters and they all are now seeming to prefer it.....I do have 5 with three boxes right now though and it's working, but I'm prepared to bring in a fourth, I'm waiting to see.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

I had a brand spanking new litter box with clean litter in it for about 2 months before I gave up. I had bought it as a replacement for a box that must be 12 years old. I wash it with mild detergent (Palmolive) about once a month, but at this point, there's a certain amount of staining and odor that just won't go away. The new one sat there for a week and my girls would not use it. Sniffed inside every now and then but preferred to share just the one box. So I put it in a different room as a third box, just in case. Now it's just a brand spanking new, but empty, litterbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Cat Addict

i had one cat for seven years, then another came along so i got another box but they only used the one so i got rid of it. then one died but i got another one and i think i bought another box at the time, i can't remember exactly when i did. i added a third but it was never used. i actually had four at one time but one was just a cheap emergency one and i threw it away.

if they share without a problem, i think it's fine. my three might even share one, but i don't know how i feel about potentially creating a problem where i have none so i'll just stick to two.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Tom Cat

I have two cats, two litterboxes side by side. They use them both. One gets pooped in more than the other. I got both kittens when they were 5 months old, they were littermates and used to sharing one litter box, but the box was getting too small for the bigger male cat, so I bought a larger version of the same box. Put them next to each other to get them used to the new one, they took to it right away and kept using the old one as well. I just never felt a need to move one to another location so they still sit side by side by the back door. No issues with anyone going potty anywhere other than the litter box. Even poor Miley who just came back from being MIA for a week, is right back to using the litter box... which is currently in the laundry room with her until we are certain she didn't pick up any diseases while she was gone.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Kitten

I have two litterboxes for my two cats, and they share them both. One seems to be the poop box and one seems to be the pee box. I think cats are going to decide for themselves how they work the litterbox thing.

Soraya
Silly and Birch
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Premier Cat

Ive never gone along with a litter box + 1 theory. Do what ever works for your cats. The best thing you can do is to keep it scooped constantly to prevent going outside the box.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Cool Cat

I have two cats and one litterbox. I use to have two smaller ones, but my cats always want to use the same litterbox (could be either one, depends on which one the first cat got into). They would rather wait in line than going to the other box. So I replaced the two boxes with a larger one. And everyone in my home is happy. My cats have no problem sharing it. They sometimes even get in together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Cat

i had 2 cats and one big litterbox for a long time, it worked fine. Then I had to buy a new litter box and could not find a jumbo sized so I got 2 mediums. As it worked out they would pee in one and poo in the other. They do have their own agendas about certian things.

tamara
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Cat Addict

I have 4 litterboxes for 4 cats. We used to have 3 and that was fine for a while, but once Sasha matured, he demanded his own. You are lucky that they willingly share...don't look at a gifted horse in the mouth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page