Is she real? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is she real?

Is she real, or has some clever photographer been playing games with a heterochromic cat? Could it be dye?

Meet Venus the famous two-faced cat who's winning fans world-wide | Mail Online

Heterochromia. Chromia is colour, and I suspect hetero is different. Put the two together and it sounds very scientific.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Tom Cat

Hmmm, it's hard to tell. I have seen animals with the face color divided like that. The eyes really top it all off, don't they?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Cat Addict

I'd say it's possible, sure. Of course it's so rare that it's naturally got a lot of attention, though. I know a few cats with different colored eyes - they're white cats, though, which seems to be the most common odd-eyed cat coat color.

I searched online and the first page I found was a video of her, which adds a great deal of credibility.

Venus The Chimera Cat Attains Viral Fame (VIDEO)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 08-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Cat Addict

Tried to edit my post again, and failed...

Odd-eyed cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Senior Cat

I believe it...

I believe she's real. I've seen multiple pictures of her in different poses, and two videos... the owner also posted pictures of cats with similar patterning on the facebook page she made for the cat. If there can be one, there can be more. The cat also passed the "Snopes" test, if that means anything to you...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Cat

Aint that awesom! It is within the realm of possibility, but the one thing I find more curious is the blue eye on the orange side? I will need to read up on my kitty genetics.

tamara
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Jr. Cat

She's a chimera cat. Chimera cat is one individual organism, but genetically its own fraternal twin. A chimera is typically formed from four parent cells (either two fertilized eggs, or two early embryos that have fused together). When the organism forms, the cells that had already begun to develop in the separate embryos keep their original phenotypes and appearances. This means that the resulting animal is a mixture of tissues and can look like this gorgeous (but bizarre) kitty.
She also has complete heterochromia, a condition when the eyes are different colours.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyhoo View Post
Aint that awesom! It is within the realm of possibility, but the one thing I find more curious is the blue eye on the orange side? I will need to read up on my kitty genetics.
There are orange cats with blue eyes... don't ask me how, but they are out there. I even saw one recently at my local shelter's adoption page.

Maybe they have Siamese in them, maybe not. It could also have something to do with the Ojos Azules cats, which I know nothing about besides that they exist. I've also read that the Ojos gene is similar to the Scottish Fold one in that two cats with the same gene should not be breed.

Along with the dogs
and
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Jr. Cat

I doubt she is a chimera. Her body coloring indicates Tortoiseshell which are Mosaic to begin with (mosaics combination of different color genotypes but in the same embryo, chimeras are combination of different color genotypes from 2 embryos combined), here's a good explanation with the link:

Mos*aics are more common than chimeras; in fact all female mammals (including humans) are mosaics. This is because females possess two X chromosomes, and one of these is always inactivated – in about half the cells it will be the X-chromosome from the mother, in the other half the chromosome from the father. The individual is therefore a mosaic of these two types. This leaves no trace in humans, but can be readily seen in tortoiseshell and calico cats where the coat colour (orange or black) is carried on the X-chromo*some. Their fur is an uneven, seemingly random patchwork of orange, white and black showing the distribution of the two types of cells.

Chimeras and Mosaics | Science | Strange Days | Fortean Times

I have seen cats before with the divide down their face in Torties and Tortie-Points before. The black and red (orange) patched together is the sign of the mixed color combinations.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Jr. Cat

Thank you for pointing that out! I paid more attention to her face than anything else.

Last edited by marie73; 12-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page