Purpose of having a Cat Tree - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Purpose of having a Cat Tree

I saw a 3 tier cat tree that I was so tempted to buy. I was hesitant because I am worried about the maintenance. ET already has a small scratch post, scratch pad, and some furniture that I left in his room for him to scratch to his heart's content. So, I was just wondering, whats the purpose of most people having a tall cat tree, its mainly for kitty to scratch or to play around and how do you guys/gals maintain a tall cat tree? I was just wondering if I should be spending the money on more toys or on a cat tree. My kitty is 2yr old, pretty lazy, and he does gets bored wif his toys after a while, though he is now pretty crazy about the DaBird I bought recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Cool Cat

What do you mean by 'maintenance' of the cat tree? Are you talking general cleaning/upkeep or replacing carpet etc once worn out on a large one?

I opt for a larger post for a couple of reasons.
- I find my cats prefer to scratch something that is high enough for them to stand up and stretch up as high as they can.
- The bigger they are, the more use they seem to get as the cats love climbing and playing on them.
- Put a cat tree near a window and your cat/s will have nothing more than sitting as high as they can get and staring out the window all day.

My advice is if you're going to buy one, make sure the base is wide and sturdy enough to hold the whole thing up if your cats are jumping on and off it/running up it like crazy.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for responding, now I know why many people are getting tall trees. I also meant the cleaning part. Do you all clean the tree everyday? and how, moreover its gonna be tall, do you dismantle or use a ladder to clean the upper part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

This is the cat tree I was eyeing at. Do you think the base is wide enough? I cant physically go check if the tree is steady, because I will be ordering online and getting it delivered.
Multi-Tier Cat Condo. Model: SGCC_011 (Facebook Promo!!) Photos Updated! The Cat Condo

By the way, when a cat tree of this size worn out, do you all discard it or replace whatever is replaceable? I have only 1 cat, wondering if I should even be buying something that big.

Last edited by snowy; 08-27-2012 at 07:47 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Senior Cat

That's a nice tree and would be great for one cat but I think it may be wobbly. The base should be bigger than the tree itself. As for cleaning it, I use a hand held vacuum to take the fur off. I keep their food on the base so it gets messy. I usually vacuum once every few days and if there are food stains on it I use one of those pet stain remover cleaners you can get at petsmart(I use sensible solutions).

My tree is 58' but I got it when I had two young kittens. They are now grown and I have a third large cat. It's a bit small and wobbly. Had it for almost a year now but it's in good condition considering. Planning on getting them a new one for xmas
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Premier Cat

There isn't any real "maintenance" of a cat tree. Once in a while I sweep over it when I'm vacuuming, but that's really it. After about 4 years our tree is holdling up just fine and still looks good.

I think the real advantage of trees is that the kitties can climb up to heights, which they love and makes them feel secure. Murphy takes his morning nap up on the top of his tree every single morning, so we know he loves it.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Tom Cat

My cats love the cat tree, I was reluctant to spend the money in case they didn't, but I finally broke down and got a three tiered one and they use it alot. There is almost always a cat or two on it, sleeping, looking out the window, occasionally playing on it, and they use the scratcher part of it too.

I don't do anything to it except occasionally sweep the vacuum hose over it like October said, but not even every time I vacuum.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Cat

I love my cat tree/kitty condo. It does not need a lot of maintenance. I am assuming you might mean the scratchy parts? They do seem to last a long time in my experience. Go and have fun!

tamara
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Senior Cat

My three boys have two trees, and they love them. If I had room I'd build them a third because I enjoy watching them play on them as much as they like to use them. It gives them something of their own to beat up on without using the good furniture 100% of the time, gives them a comfortable spot to see out the window while getting some fresh air, and for my boys, they are favorite napping spots.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
That's a nice tree and would be great for one cat but I think it may be wobbly. The base should be bigger than the tree itself. As for cleaning it, I use a hand held vacuum to take the fur off. I keep their food on the base so it gets messy. I usually vacuum once every few days and if there are food stains on it I use one of those pet stain remover cleaners you can get at petsmart(I use sensible solutions).

My tree is 58' but I got it when I had two young kittens. They are now grown and I have a third large cat. It's a bit small and wobbly. Had it for almost a year now but it's in good condition considering. Planning on getting them a new one for xmas
Oh, so you think this cat tree maybe wobbly? Then I better reconsider.

Thanks all for all the input, looks like adding a cat tree is a good idea, and since maintaining it isn't such an issue, guess I'll go look out for a wider based one. Till now, I haven't seen my kitty climb very high or maybe that's because there isn't any place high up for him to climb as yet. I was also worried I maybe wasting money on something my kitty isn't using, but since so many of you gave positive feedback on their kitties' using it, then I will seriously consider getting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page