How is your cat-room designed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How is your cat-room designed?

My crazy cat room is where my 4 cats and my adult foster cats can go to get away from noise and the dogs. I have 3 large cat towers and several smaller ones in there. There are also lots of cat toys that the dogs like to steal when the cats play fetch.

There are two feeding "stations" as my cats eat in pairs. One station is on top of a dresser which sandwiches a mattress (they love sleeping high on the edge and we had an extra) against the wall. The second feeding post is on a second dresser. I do not free feed as it makes cats overweight and it makes it impossible to know when someone is sick and not eating.

All of our litter boxes are located in the closet in that room. I have one per cat and add an extra when a foster comes in.

Foster cats are fed separate until they proove that they can feed peacefully out of the great-dane sized food bowls. If they are not behaviorally temperamental when caged then they are in a kitty condo cage with their necessities until I know they're house trained. . Kittens ages 12 weeks and younger stay in a kitty condo cage unless supervised playtime out of the cage for their own safety.

The cat room is 10feet by 11feet and has a fan that stays on. It also has a very large window that faces the front of the house. This room has french doors that lead to the foyer which are only opened when a foster is learning to play nice in the doorway (baby-gated against the dogs) which leads to the hallway. I have wood floors in that room for easy clean-up and carpet in the closet because it's much easier to vacuum up stray litter.

I never had a cat room until this year due to my influx in cats and I don't know why I never did it before. I tried to design the room with lots of height, lots of variety, and enough space for the cats to each have their own area to chill out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Premier Cat

My cat room is about 935 square feet. Has two cat trees and lots of sleeping space. One litterbox is at one end and the second is at the other. It's two bedrooms and one bath with an open kitchen, dining room, and living room.

Of course, that's the entire apartment. The cats are nice enough to let me stay in it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Cat

Wow, you have some lucky cats! Every room in my apt is the cat room, including the bathroom, where i have my sick foster. The cats eat their meals in the kitchen, and there is a litterbox in each room. I now brush my teeth at the kitchen sink :-/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
My cat room is about 935 square feet. Has two cat trees and lots of sleeping space. One litterbox is at one end and the second is at the other. It's two bedrooms and one bath with an open kitchen, dining room, and living room.

Of course, that's the entire apartment. The cats are nice enough to let me stay in it.
lol!! Isn't that the truth. I made them their cat room so they'd get out of my space. With 4 permanent cats we needed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan841 View Post
Wow, you have some lucky cats! Every room in my apt is the cat room, including the bathroom, where i have my sick foster. The cats eat their meals in the kitchen, and there is a litterbox in each room. I now brush my teeth at the kitchen sink :-/
I hope your foster gets better soon! My cats do not enter my kitchen, it's the only room that they don't go in. We humans discourage it and have "claimed" it as our territory I'd have a litterbox in multiple rooms, but the dogs will eat the litter.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Tom Cat

No cat room here, but my son and daughters rooms have a jack and jill bath with two litterboxes in it, and I have baby gates across both of their doorways. It started out to keep the dogs out of their rooms, but the cats go in there to get away sometimes. I also have a litterbox downstairs and my cat tree is in the living room. I prefer that they spend as much time out with us as possible. If I need to quarantine anyone, that happens in the master bathroom.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
No cat room here, but my son and daughters rooms have a jack and jill bath with two litterboxes in it, and I have baby gates across both of their doorways. It started out to keep the dogs out of their rooms, but the cats go in there to get away sometimes. I also have a litterbox downstairs and my cat tree is in the living room. I prefer that they spend as much time out with us as possible. If I need to quarantine anyone, that happens in the master bathroom.
it sounds like a great setup you have! If my cats want my company they'll come into my room or hang out on the couch. They all play fetch so if they feel like playing they bring me toys I always quarantine in my spare bathroom since its easy-cleaning for sterilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMayWilcha View Post
Patricia does not need a room. She is happy having food in the kitchen and a litterbox in the laundry room and always sleeps in my bedroom. But when I buy a house, I will convert the garage into a cat room for fosters. I don't drive, so that will not be a problem.
That's a great idea for the fosters! If I only had one cat then there wouldn't be a cat room for sure. I only added it when I got a fourth kitty but they love it so much. Plus it keeps the dogs out of the litter! I have two dogs with cancer and they both sleep in my bed, Spookie and Snowball will cuddle with them but the other cats prefer to sleep in the other bedroom. My foster cat sleeps in the cat room because he attacks our feet at night and we kick him out of the beds lol.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Cat Addict

Depends on the cat... Blacky wanders the whole back and front yard plus the neighbours front yard (no fence there), and most of the inside of the home she can roam as well. No real 'cat room' for her... although she does spend a great deal of time in the sun room which is accessible either from the kitchen upstairs or the stairs leading from the backyard. She likes sleeping in the chairs and on the table in there. This was taken a few days ago:

Blaze has his own room (formerly called the laundry room) that he has to stay in, as soon as he wanders other rooms he sprays... Blaze's room is around 200 square feet, including a closet hideaway filled with bedding for him to sleep in. There's vertical space of counters, a sink and a washer and dryer all along a 9 foot long (3 foot high) window, and the windowsill is wide enough for him to walk along. There's also a perch for him to stretch out on right in the window that gets sun in the afternoon and the dryer, which also gets sun, has a bed covering the top of it too. In the summer we also open up the door so he's got a screen door to look out, plus the window where his perch is located (in the corner of the window) is always open a crack - it's a vertical opening window. He's got two litter boxes and a scratching pole as well - we would've given him a cat condo but he never used the one he used to have, he only peed on it. He used to have the bathroom down there as well to wander but he started spraying in the shower and we really didn't want that room smelling like cat pee too. We also let him wander the ~3,000 square foot (total guess! maybe closer to 5,000, haven't really measured it) backyard every few days too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 08-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Cool Cat

Well, my cat has free roam of the house except at night. I either confine her to my bedroom or she access to the whole house except my grandparent's bedroom. They keep 2 of the canine devils with them at night. The cat, my mom's dog, and I usually share a bed.

She just has 1 litterbox which seems to be plenty for her. I feed her on my dresser or the canine devils will steal her food.

That's my new favorite phrase: canine devils. I love them but sometimes I want to let Tina eat them for breakfast.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Senior Cat

Im guilty of having a cat room but only cause we moved from a two bedroom apartment to a three bedroom townhouse and don't have enough furnature. Lol. Mine has two book shelves, small condo, their favourite chair, litter box, cat tunnel and tons of toys. They all go there to play but mainly use the room at night because they like being close to us when we sleep. During the day they usually run around and play in the basement.

If we ever get another bed we will put ours now in that room but we will leave the litter box. Toys will be moved to the basement
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Cat Addict

My cat room is 2,300 Sq ft inddors with 4 cat tress and toys randomly scattered about. Two litter boxes at one end and 1 litter box at the other end. I also have an 1,800 sq ft outdoor enclosure with 3 'kitty forts' some sod and some fountain grass.

I live on a corner of the couch.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page