Cats and adjustment periods. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cats and adjustment periods.

Hi everyone. Long story short its been a rough 6 weeks for me and my pets. I was admitted to a hospital on 7/27 and released on 8/12. During this time, Ninja was fostered by my dear friend and co-worker because my mom could not handle him. Sully and Thurston stayed with Mom. On 8/14, I had to put my dog Moxie to sleep. On 8/27 I was able to bring Sully home to my new pseudo temporary home which is a rented room in a house with 2 small children. Yesterday, Ninja came home from kitty camp.
Basically, I'm worried about all three of them. They seem depressed. I know this has been very hard on them, cats HATE change and they have been through major upheaval. Just looking for ways to make this transition easier on them.

I brought the unwashed blankets and beds from the old house as well as my purrfect post and some cat toys. Once I have use of a truck, we will have a cat tree as well. They have access to a window. My room is a no-kid zone, but its still very loud in the house much of the day. (Kids are 4 years and 1 year)

They are both eating well, but neither is acting himself. Ninja is sleeping all the time and hiding. I even checked his temp last night I was so worried. He is coming out and sleeping on the couch and cat bed today so a slight improvement. Sully is permanently attached to me and is actually bullying Ninja, not letting him on the bed with me at night.

They are allowed access to the rest of the house when I am home, but I haven't let them yet because I'm afraid it would be too overwhelming, plus neither of them seem interested in leaving my room yet.

I'm thinking about getting a Feliway diffuser and a white noise machine for during the day. Anyone used the diffusers? Do they work? Any other suggestions. My illness has been so hard on all of us, I just want to make my kiddos as comfortable and relaxed as possible. Open to any and all suggestions.

Thurston has remained with my Mother per her request. He is also showing signs of stress. So worried about these guys. I hate that they are going through this.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you're all going through this, Rachael.

I had no success with Feliway, but there are people who swear by it.

I know you're in small quarters now, but do you think bringing Thurston back into the mix would help at all (if your Mom would agree to it)?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

This has been an awful upheaval for all of you. I can't imagine how stressful it has been so it is not surprising that Sully and Ninja are showing signs of stress. Hopefully they will begin to relax soon.

I am so, so sorry that you lost your Moxie. I am sure that the cats are also grieving about that also.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...what an awful time you've had. Hopefully you're on the road to better things.

I thought that Feliway helped when I introduced Holly into the house. I definitely notice a difference in behavior when it ran dry. Probably used them for 4 months. I stopped using it when it ran dry and I didn't notice any change. It definitely took the edge off.

I also used it when I introduced Jake, again it seemed to help...but it was a pretty easy intro. I used the diffuser for 2 months. I also used the spray around his crate...figured if they approached him it would help keep them chilled.

I'm also a fan of Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming treats. I use them when Kobi turns into a werewolf every full moon. I need to use 2-3 to get results, but I definitely see a difference. Feliway doesn't seem to help this behavior.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Senior Cat

I'm sorry about Moxie I lost my dog in April and still get teary sometimes. I'm also sorry about your hospital stay and all of the general stress! I haven't personally used a Feliway but I hear good things... I don't really have any ideas for you, but I think things will get better, one day at a time.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Cool Cat

Healthy, but stressed cats apparently get what's called sickness behaviour. Time and a stable environment helps. Often people will take their cats to the vet when this happens, but the vet gives them a clear bill.

I have a link to an article that I want to post and discuss sometime, but at the moment I'm too tired. I suggest not bothering them too much and letting them readjust around you, their main securty anchor.

JusJim
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Cool Cat

My sympathy over Moxie's passing. I just watched a bit of her video (but I couldn't get the sound to turn down.) She certainly did enjoy life.

JusJim

Last edited by jusjim; 09-03-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: addition
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Cat Addict

What a rough time for you recently! I am sorry for the passing of Moxie and for your recent ordeal. Not fun .

It's possible they are also worried about you! I would bet it would help them if you specifically spent time letting each of them know where you were and how you are doing now (via your thoughts and mental pictures). Cats are exquisitely sensitive and tuned into the people they love...

Fran
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post

It's possible they are also worried about you! I would bet it would help them if you specifically spent time letting each of them know where you were and how you are doing now (via your thoughts and mental pictures). Cats are exquisitely sensitive and tuned into the people they love...

Fran
This could help, but rather than try to send thoughts and pictures, tell them how you feel. Doing this may well generate the required thoughts and pictures.

JusJim
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Premier Cat

I love..love...love(in an choir song voice).. my Feliway. I know as soon as it runs out 'cause Senor Poopy Pants (MowMow) gets all pissy and grumpy with Book *AND* I.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time right now If there's any way I can help (short of taking Ninja, I have one of my own I can barely deal with)... let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page