How cats know your mood - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How cats know your mood

I've noticed that cats have no way at all to gauge my mood, because I don't have a tail or ears that move, and my body language is so different from theirs. Hey, I show my teeth when I'm actually happy.

I've observed that the only way they're able to tell my state of mind is if I speak - by the tone, volume and intonation of my voice. I often forget to speak so they can see I'm not in a threatening mood when they're feeling insecure, but I try to remember because I see what a big difference it makes. Often my mood, expressed in my voice, also calms them down and their body position changes to a more relaxed one and/or helps them fall asleep, recover their appetite, lose their fear, accept play / petting, stop fighting between them.

I'm talking about strays and former strays adopted not long ago, so it makes a really big difference for them.

Many of my strays also recognize me only by voice or what I'm wearing from the knee down. If I pass by on the way to/from work in pants and elegant shoes, they don't recognize me until they hear my voice. They'll shrink in fear as I approach silently, immediately dash towards me, relieved, the moment I start making sound.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Tom Cat

I talk to all the animals all the time too. I tell them "it's OK, it's just me". I think they associate that noise/sound with the accompanying non-threatening behavior (not to mention - food on occasion). The young deer are fascinated by me almost as much as they are by Midnight, the wild cat. They still don't like to see teeth though, so you have to resist the urge to smile. Midnight has gone from biting me to letting me pet him when he is sleeping on the cabinet in the garage.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I too tell them "It's me, it's mom" when I'm wearing my work fancy clothes - which in stray-cat language translates to: "likelihood of chicken breast or beef leftovers from work lunch."

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Tom Cat

I talk a fair amount to Ritz. She was herself abandoned and still skittish after two years. I am especially vocal when I come up behind her or cross her path, "it's just me honey", or something similar. And when she looks like she is going to jump up onto the counter top or explore something new, I say, "well, you can if you want", like I don't really care. (And, actually, I don't.) If she wants to explore a closet, I tap three times on the door and open it; I actually think she's learned the 'code'. With trepidation, I let her be on the window sill, looking out, only a screen in between her and the lawn. I say, be careful and, so far, she has.
I hate myself when I speak harshly to her, it's more a "I don't have time for you" type of attitude or, more rarely, when she does something that is dangerous to herself. Cats DO sense our mood.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Cat Addict

I would second this - voice is very important! Not a surprise, I guess, considering how good a cat's hearing is!

(This reminds me of a funny incident recently with Gracie. As some of you might have read, we had an animal communicator come to the house a month ago. She has a soft, very distinctive voice. Just the other day I found a taped call-in session featuring several people including the communicator, so I played it on my computer. Gracie came rushing in with the most confounded look on her face, and her ears going every which way - "wait! that lady! is she here again? what's going on ?!?" )

Fran
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah, Ritz is still unnerved when she hears sound coming from the answering machine!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Tom Cat

I agree that cats can tell our emotions by our voice. A while ago I wasn't very happy and was crying on the phone and Milky suddenly came over, stood up, put his arms on my shoulders and licked me, like he was trying to hug me. Whereas when I'm usually on my phone chatting normally, he won't do that. It felt so comforting when he did it and it made me feel so much better. He's so precious to me for all the cute little things he does.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Cat Addict

I talk a lot to all my animals and I think it is important but I think they have the ability to pick up our emotions from more than just our voices. I'm not sure whether they are sensitie to body language we don't even notice or maybe we actually exude different scentsaccording to our frame of mind - maybe it's even a psychic link. I have no real idea ow they do it but I beleive it is more than what is audible.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Jr. Cat

I get really bad headaches - the doctor still can't figure out what the **** they are...two years of this nonsense...I digress.. - and kitty seems to know. He comes and lays on me and gives me his healing purrs
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Jr. Cat

One of mine seems to be more in tune with me than the other 2.

He just knows when I need comfort. When we had to put one of our cats down earlier this year, he would come to bed with me and pat my head all night. He also knows when I've had a rough day at work and will spend more time with me than average.

Not sure how he knows, but he does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page