Old chair is a favorite of the cat, but needs to go - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Unhappy Old chair is a favorite of the cat, but needs to go

So I have this old chair that is very comfortable and small that I used to have in our bedroom. We had done some decorating in the bedroom and the chair got moved temporary to the living room. I was going to toss it, but the cats are always playing & scratching it and I知 afraid that if I toss it they will start tearing up my expensive leather reclining couches. They really attack this chair and sometimes flipping the cushion completely off. It痴 looking real shabby and I知 embarrassed when people come over. Plus I知 getting tired of explaining the chair every time someone new comes in. I致e bought 3 cat trees with plenty of scratching surface, but they prefer the chair. They now have the stuffing coming out off the cushion. And to top it off, my 5 yr old grandson now uses it to play video games on. He can easily move it around because of its light weight & size.

I知 thinking of having the chair reupholstered in order to save the couches and I知 wondering if there is something I could use so the cats could still attack it, but not destroy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Cool Cat

Redo the whole thing in sisal rope!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Cat

I would just keep the scratcher, er, chair for them to play on. If family comes over, just leave the chair out - they will understand. Or, for family, just use a throw cover that you can tuck in while they are there. For non family member visits, since it is so light, just remove it and tuck it away in a closet and bring it out when non-understanding company leaves. Instead of reupholstering the chair, maybe find an inexpensive chair cover that you can put on it that the cat's won't destroy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCARSMOM View Post
I would just keep the scratcher, er, chair for them to play on. If family comes over, just leave the chair out - they will understand. Or, for family, just use a throw cover that you can tuck in while they are there. For non family member visits, since it is so light, just remove it and tuck it away in a closet and bring it out when non-understanding company leaves. Instead of reupholstering the chair, maybe find an inexpensive chair cover that you can put on it that the cat's won't destroy.
Um, I guess I could make a cover and put it on when company is over. The cats all hide when anybody comes over anyway. I actually enjoy sitting in it myself. They weren't expensive chairs and I originally bought two of them although I don't know what ever happened to the other one.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Tom Cat

I feel your pain but alas my fur babies always win in the end. I couldn't wait for my indoors only bloodhound to be trained well enough so I would no longer need the giant metal crate sitting in my family room. Well that was eight years ago and the crates still there. Yes we trained her but turns out she loves her crate so much, she opens the door with her nose and goes right in to take naps on her own. It was like it was her "happy place". No matter what you throw over it or how fancy a pillow you put in it, it's still one huge eyesore!
I also have a litterbox box in my dining room ( and I can assure you that was not my plan, but my finicky littles Persians idea. )
What's a fur baby owner to do................? Well when people come over I simply say,
"sorry guys, but I got animals!"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
I feel your pain but alas my fur babies always win in the end. I couldn't wait for my indoors only bloodhound to be trained well enough so I would no longer need the giant metal crate sitting in my family room. Well that was eight years ago and the crates still there. Yes we trained her but turns out she loves her crate so much, she opens the door with her nose and goes right in to take naps on her own. It was like it was her "happy place". No matter what you throw over it or how fancy a pillow you put in it, it's still one huge eyesore!...............
My daughter has one of those crates for her dogs and I知 always appalled every time I go over there, but the dogs seem to love it. She put a board on top with a table cloth and uses it as a large corner table. She keeps them in the house because they broke down the fence once and she was fined $400 and forced to reinforce the fence. She now only lets them out in the back to go to the bathroom.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Cool Cat

I would keep the chair.

We have a chair that we call Tina's chair. No one else sits on it except her. We have to tell our guests NO or they'll get a fur covered butt even though we change the cover on it daily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
I would keep the chair.

We have a chair that we call Tina's chair. No one else sits on it except her. We have to tell our guests NO or they'll get a fur covered butt even though we change the cover on it daily.
Thanks, I was just looking at it and the worst of the damage is on the front of the cushion where they sand on the floor and drag there claws over it. It occurred to me that I should try to find a cheap bath rug about the same color as the chair and lay it over the cushion.
I値l probably have to attach it to the back somehow, because they will pull it off. I have a throw rug in front of my entrance door that they love to roll it back over them and stalk the other cats as they walk past.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

If you ditch the chair, your cats will have their revenge.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Tom Cat

I think I want a removable denim slip cover for my living room chair and couch. I have kids and cats so it is pointless to try having anything fancy. I bought this living room suite 8 yrs ago and I would love to have a new one but this one has held up well, beige microfiber. It took me about 5 years of shampooing the seat cushions, to find the hidden zippers. Now I just take them off and machine wash them. The cats don't scratch them, but they do scratch on a computer chair we have that is sort of a blue tweed like material. We got it when my husband's office was remodeled so I don't worry too much about it. Might eventually recover it in some cat print fabric if I ever get a cat room. I'm afraid they won't like it then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page