Baby gate - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Baby gate

Hi friends! Hopefully my husband & I will be getting a kitten in the next few months. At first, I think it would be best to keep him or her in the kitchen, as there aren't as many little things to get into or knock over (those things can be hidden in shelves). Unfortunately, however, there is no door to our kitchen. I remember when I was a kid, when we got a kitten, we kept her in the kitchen by using a baby gate. Looking back, I have no idea how that kept her in there at night. Maybe she just had no interest in climbing it?

So this is my question: do you think it would be a futile attempt to use a baby gate to keep a kitten in a room overnight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Tom Cat

I wouldn't even bother, my kittens could climb it at 4 weeks let alone at 12 weeks when they're ready to go into their new homes lol

Unless you are going to stack 2 or 3 on top of each other to fully cover the door way.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Cool Cat

I don't see this working. We have a screen door before our wooden door at the animal shelter for the cat room. The kittens will climb to the top of the screen door. I am sure they could get over a baby gate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Tom Cat

I gave my kitten the apartment minus the bedroom and bathroom from day 1 (large living room, kitchen, back hallway). I let him out of the carrier in front of the litter box and left it there as home base.

He disappeared for about an hour under a bookcase then he explored everything and found his way back to the litter box with a 100% success rate. It took like 8 hrs before he peed or pooed for the first time (probably just nerves) which left me terrified of finding a "surprise" somewhere, but I never did.

I have a 700sq foot apartment though so it wasn't too huge for him to get lost in.

Bathrooms seem to be the popular place, but mine wasn't big enough for his litter box and food and I keep a lot of things out on counters.

Do you have a spare bedroom or office? Is your place small enough to just take the plunge and cross your fingers like I did?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsaidfed View Post
Do you have a spare bedroom or office? Is your place small enough to just take the plunge and cross your fingers like I did?
We do have a spare room, but we use it as an office / music room / craft room. Lots & lots of bad stuff to get into when we aren't there to supervise!

Our bathroom is too little to keep a kitten in, too. We might just have to do what you did. I'm not sure how many square feet our place is, but it's fairly small.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Now I'm just left wondering why I don't remember my childhood cat ever climbing the baby gate when she was little...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Premier Cat

Ive seen some people wire card board on the gate so a very small kitten couldn't get thru. It wont last for long though. Plus its a pain to crawl over the gate or having to continually move it to open it.

Kittens are very determined. I had one that was 6 weeks crawl thru space down at the bottom of a wire dog kennel! We watched her do it in amazement. Her new family named her Screamin' Mimi because she was so mischievous and went full speed into everything.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Cat

We had borrowed a portable cage for our 3 kittens and I’m not sure if it was a dog kennel or what but it was big enough to put in a small cat tree. They climbed all over that thing and even hanging from the top like monkeys.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Tom Cat

This is a great idea! The only downside might be the expense if you don't know someone with one. A large dog kennel will comfortably fit a litter pan, food, water, bed, and toys.

I was watching sale ads when I first got my kitten, but the big ones never got lower than the $160ish range. This was outside of my budget, and I lucked out with only one chewed through cable and lots of knocked over books to clean up

Last edited by marie73; 09-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Cat

I saw one in a Salvation Army store a few years back and I almost bought it. I don’t remember how much it was now, but it was cheap.

I don’t know how handy you are but you could build one. You would just need some welded wire mesh and some wood. Home depot will cut the wood for you, but you would have put it together.

3 ft. x 25 ft. 19-Gauge Galvanized Hardware Cloth-308225B at The Home Depot

I was at Lowes once and they had a clearance on wire shelving and I bought enough to build a small kennel. I never got around to it yet and I don't even want to tell you how much I paid, but the sale was too good to pass up.

I couldn’t find them on there web page and I’m not sure they still carry them, but if you keep an open mind you may find something to make something out of.
It’s not hard and If you were close to me I would build one for you.

Last edited by marie73; 09-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Tom Cat

I don't need one anymore, but my boyfriend is really lucky you didn't post this a few months ago! He would have had a new project on his hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page