What is the smallest hole a kitten can fit through? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

What is the smallest hole a kitten can fit through?

I have some left over welded wire fencing with 2Ē x4Ē mesh and Iím going to make a kennel out of it just for fun. I know the cat canít get through, but Iím not so sure about kittens. I donít know of anyone at the moment that has kittens and I really canít remember how small they are when they start climbing. I donít plan on have kittens anytime soon, but it would be nice to know it would work for kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Tom Cat

I have a hole in the block foundation for the garage so I could put out an extension cord to the block heater of the G-car when I was on the job years ago. It measures 1.5 by 3.25 inches. A couple of years ago, during the Winter, some moron dropped off a pretty good sized kitten and it found it's way into the garage (and into the house that belongs to Midnight, the wild cat). I could not believe the kitten's head would fit through that opening. During my first attempt to capture it, it got away, but came back again later when all the doors were closed so I knew that was the entry point. Midnight did not like the intrusion but fortunately, the neighbor took it in.

Interesting you should ask this question as I would not have believed that a kitten could have fit through a hole this size - no "give" in the concrete either.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Cat

I'd go with 1" to be safe... cats are amazing at squeezing through things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtanker View Post
I have a hole in the block foundation for the garage so I could put out an extension cord to the block heater of the G-car when I was on the job years ago. It measures 1.5 by 3.25 inches. ..............
Thanks, wow that is a lot smaller than what I got.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks, well Iím rethinking this. I donít plan on having kittens and was thinking more of something to separate the cats if I ever have to, but I guess if Iím going to build one it should at least be able to work for kittens in case someone wants to borrow it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Cat

Oh...well I don't know how small the hole/gap was but when he was a kitten, Orry got stuck under the cabinets in the kitchen. He got in through the gap underneath the cabinets that are the corner ones. We had to cut a hole inside the cabinet to get him out because he would not come out the same way he went it. To this day he is terrified of the corner cabinets. He will not go near them. But I know kittens can fit into the tightest spots.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Tom Cat

I've heard that the rule of thumb is, if a cat can fit its head into the hole/square, then he can fit his entire body. Something about a cat's spine and neck muscles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzpg View Post
I've heard that the rule of thumb is, if a cat can fit its head into the hole/square, then he can fit his entire body. Something about a cat's spine and neck muscles.
I second that. They have a floating collarbone so yes, as long as it can fit the head into the hole, the rest of the body can follow. You'd be amazed! I can't open my windows more than the size of my cats' heads for fear they'd get thru.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzpg View Post
Well, that is generally true for wild cats, but not necessarily for household cats. I've seen fat cats stuck in the middle The funny thing is, they (the fat cats) also believe in the rule of thumb you stated, so they never thought they can't make it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Jr. Cat

I was surprised and amused by the fact that Felicity can walk through this gate:

She's small, but a 2 year old adult. The door is used to keep a dog at bay, and the other cat in the house usually jumps over it. I closed it to see if felicity could jump it, she simply walked through the spokes which can't be more than a foot wide. She can jump it, but really didn't feel the need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page