Facebook.... is it true? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Facebook.... is it true?

I don't know if this is true or the internet version of an urban myth but I am hoping you can either confirm or tell me it is rubbish!

I have been told that Facebook is removing all animals rescue organisations pages. It seems improbable (especially considering some of the horrific stuff they allow to slip through) but not impossible.

Any enlightment, folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Tom Cat

I heard that they were removing accounts people had made for their animals, like if you had an account for Fluffy The Cat Smith. Still doubtful though, how will they tell?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Jr. Cat

When in doubt, Google and look for Snopes.com or Thatsnonsense.com.

Facebook Deleting Pet Accounts and Accounts With Animal Profile Pics? - Facebook Rumour

Quote:
The viral rumour that Facebook have started deleting Facebook accounts based on pets and not people is a rumour that we have traced back as early as the start of 2009, and it appears no more true now than it was back then.

Various status updates and Facebook groups have emerged warning of a sudden crackdown on pet accounts, but these rumours appear to be completely unfounded and there has been no word from Facebook on the matter. A quick search on the Internet reveals that pet account owners have been complaining of sudden deletion without warning for many years, and this is likely because accounts for pets are usually lightly infringing on Facebooks conditions for creating new accounts, specifically section 4 which deals with registration and states -

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

This means that if you create an account for your pet, you are essentially breaking the terms and conditions set by Facebook for the creation of new accounts, and Facebook reserve the right to delete such offending accounts without notice.

However, there does not appear to be any sudden surge in complaints regarding this matter in the past few days, suggesting this is just another silly time wasting hoax. Why people set up accounts for their pets in the first place we do not quite understand since it appears to be a waste of time in itself, but account owners of animals need not be too worried by these rumours, but should be aware that pet accounts are infringing on Facebooks terms and conditions, so make sure you always have an offline backup of any photos uploaded to these accounts, because if Facebook do terminate an account, those photos are gone.

Additionally the assertion that people will be deleted merely for having animals as their profile pictures is not true. This does not break any Facebook terms and conditions and if an account is deleted it would be for another infringement.

On that note, I doubt that they are removing the animal organizations as well, unless they are grossly violating Terms of Service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page