Another "stray cat" thread... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Another "stray cat" thread...

Seeing all your stray stories makes me want to share my own!

I don't live in the best of neighborhoods, and there are a lot of strays. There are people on the street next to us that always call in animal control on the stray cats and dogs (which I guess is okay, otherwise we'd have a feral colony here). It is a strange mixed neighborhood in the process of renovation, so there are lots of yuppie couples that feel it their duty to clean up the neighborhood. I guess you could include myself in that category.

For the past couple months, I haven't seen any stray cats. There were a few strays that liked our backyard. We would sometimes feed them. There was a older kitten in the bunch, a sleek little black cat.

I think that cat has come back. There is a much taller version of the black cat hanging out in our backyard, and she has a slightly rounded belly. She is a very pretty cat, tall and slender... I hope the belly is just worms! I am sure she belongs to a neighbor, I just don't know who. I really want to take her in myself. I left out some food this morning and she came out from under the detached garage to greet me. It seems like she has made this her home. I guess that is my fault. I would just let her be, but I don't want her to go to a shelter! In fact, I'd love to take her in... I've fallen in love. My first cat was black and this little girl looks a lot like my childhood kitty.

So, I guess I should make some flyers and get her checked for a microchip, right? I am 99% sure no one will claim her. Then I can take her in, right? I already have six... but there is always room for one more. Part of me says to not take her in because of space. The rest of me says she might need a safe place to have her kittens. We have a two bedroom bungalow with a nice finished basement, but it is only about 1300 sq ft total.

Oh decisions decisions.... I know I am being tempted to take her in just because I think she might be pregnant. If she isn't, well I'd still love her and keep her. What is one more cat when you already have six? <----I want to see some of this in my house again... is that being selfish? I don't exactly have the money to get her checked out until I have a job again... but my fiance's mom loves cats and would pay to have this girl tested and spayed, especially if she thinks she'll get a kitten. And she is visiting this weekend. I don't know what to do. She really isn't in immenent danger, but if I am going to take her in, it should be before his mom visits.

Now that I type all this out, I see how foolish I am. My biological kitten clock is ticking I guess. What would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Cool Cat

I would introduce the sleek little blackiecat to the future MIL. Mention she might be having kittens soon, and you'd love to get her checked and taken care of, you've got the space but not the means, but... well, you know how things are....

If soon-to-be MIL falls in love and offers to do the "right" thing, then hooray! If not, you can do what you can.

Something I have to keep telling myself is that if I take on a new responsibility when I don't have the financial means, than all my other responsibilities will suffer, and that's no good.

(Then again, what do I know? I just agreed today to take on a .5 TA for a course I failed in my undergrad. Whoopsie. At least my office hours will probably be a ghost town and I'll get some work done.)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That is a great idea. I didn't think of it because of course, I want the kittens! LOL
In fact, she was just asking a couple weeks ago if we ever got the cat she gave us fixed. Apparently she wants kittens. Sigh...

Good luck on that course! In my experience, TAs don't really have to know what is going on anyway. You can use the extra time to post more on here. Like I am doing. Wasting hours when I should be looking for a job.

I think of it as therapy and self-reflection, which ideally will make me better able to make decisions. HA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
I would get her to the vet ASAP. Unlikely to have a chip, but check for it. Then get her spayed post-haste, even if pregnant (the world does NOT need any more kittens!), wormed, etc. If your MIL wants a kitten, send her to shelter where they will be MORE than happy to accomodate her!
Oh, I don't know about that... Just like in humans, I wouldn't fault someone for having an abortion, but I couldn't have one myself... same for kittens. I raised a litter before and it was the most beautiful experienve I've ever had. I know the world needs no more kittens, but the world needs no more people either... and people keep having babies and no one faults them for it.

I think I'll turn her over to my MIL, or foster them myself and then give them to her. They will have a home whether they are born here or there... slightly irresponsible, yes, but they won't be neglected. I'd rather take care of them and foster them myself instead of sending them to someone else to do it. I am a nurse, so I will have a job soon, that really isn't a big concern. I'll make sure they are all spayed and neutered before they go to the MIL. The MIL won't adopt cats from shelters because she wants kittens. She'd only take fixed kittens from me.
I didn't call myself a crazy cat lady for nothing.... I don't have children, so the kitties replace that void in my soul!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Cat

Nurses are in high demand... way fewer nurses out there than there are jobs. You really will have a job in no time. If I were you, I'd foster them myself, as you have the experience and your MIL may not... then she can take a kitten and help you find homes for the rest. And she can foot the momma's bills since she wants a kitten from her lol.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Actually, in my locale, there was a news story a few months ago that in my city, there is actually an overabundance of nurses. In my search for a job, that is definitely true from what I've seen... very few job postings for new nurses. There are a ton of nursing schools in Indy. Luckily I have some experience so I think I will be ahead of the curve. The trouble is getting a job in a field I enjoy... not just any open position. But I am not too worried about it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Cat

Wow, that's so weird! It must vary by area because when I was looking up jobs, there was a huge shortage of nationwide. Glad I decided not to do nursing school, haha. I'm sure you'll find the right thing, though, and now you're going to have tons of fun with kitties!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cat

lol if you ever want to move to Canada my mum's the Client Services leader for one of the big nursing home here, and is constantly tearing her hair out when her RNs retire. High-proprity all over the country too, so you don't even need a job offer to get a visa.

But then who would take in those kitties and take a million photos for us?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I wouldn't mind a move to Canada... National healthcare, less horrible humid hot weather... nice people... I really have nothing tying me to Indiana anymore and I wish I could move out, but I won't. The fiance has kids here. They'll be older soon enough and perhaps I will take you up on the offer then! I'd just take the kitties with me if I did move. And if I do end up with kittens, there won't be many pictures unless I go get a decent camera. The phone cam stinks.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Cat

My phone camera works best in good lighting (even with the flash) and not using the zoom... its also best if the cat isn't moving but well, how often do they not move? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page