Are feather toys safe for cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Are feather toys safe for cats?

Hello all!

So, I just have a quick question. My cat LOVES Da Bird, and he seems to have a fascination with feathers. However, I'll only let him play with Da Bird when I'm around to play with him/watch him.

I was thinking of getting him another toy with feathers that maybe I could leave out for him. But I came across this review: Amazon.com: YumYum's review of KONG Naturals Crinkle Ball with Feathers C...

It's saying that the little feather fluffs can get caught in a cat's system and ultimately hurt them. Is this true? Should feather toys not be left out?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

Funny you bring this up, because just this week I saw Murphy swallow a feather. It didn't have a hard spine on it, so I thought chances were good that it would just pass. I also called the vet when I thought he had swallowed a long piece of dental floss, so I knew what their reaction would be: there's nothing we can do about it now, keep an eye on him.

Fortunately, the feather made a reappearance in the litterbox within 1.5 days.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Safe under supervision, as you referenced. I don't trust my cats at all!

My sister can't leave any toys out, one of her girls ate about 6 inches of a braided rope toy, and needed emergency surgery to have it removed.

Only toys that stay out in our house are heavy plastic rings (not milk rings, these are bought at a pet store), rabbits feet and "squirmy wormies."

Better safe than sorry, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Artie loves to eat feathers!! He only get them when I am playing with him and still, I have to pull them away from his mouth! same with furry toys...I do not leave out anything he could swallow.. feathers, thin rope, plastic bag ties, plastic bags...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ah, okay! Thanks for letting me know guys! Looks like if I do get more feather toys, I'll only have them out when I can watch him

That said.. do you guys have any good suggestions for toys to keep out when I'm away from home? I do have a few catnip stuffed toys that I leave out, and I rotate them from time to time, but I feel like he can get bored with them and doesn't always interact with them.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiesmom View Post
Artie loves to eat feathers!! He only get them when I am playing with him and still, I have to pull them away from his mouth! same with furry toys...I do not leave out anything he could swallow.. feathers, thin rope, plastic bag ties, plastic bags...
Yup. Same here. Binks gets them in her mouth and mows them down other than spitting them out. No more little fluff things for her. But she does love the feather toys.

tamara
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

My girls don't get feather toys anymore. Nothing ever happened, but I don't want to take chances.

Five years later and my girls still play with this one:

This is also popular

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Kitten

My kitties love the Turbo scratcher! But Cuddles looooves her feather toys (KONG kickeroo especially) so she can only play with them while under supervision.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Cat

I had a feather toy tied to a long string that was tied to a fishing pole. The Cats loved it and I would have to hide the pole and all in the closet because they would drag the toy and rod around the house. One night I awoke to a loud crash to find they were making a group effort to drag it up to my bed and they knocked over a vase going up the stairs.

They figured out how to open the closet door, but couldn’t get the rod off the hook it was hanging on so they chewed it of the string and I never saw it again.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Tom Cat

This worries me because Milky is only interest in playing with feathered toys. I mean we've given him other toys to play with before but seems that he loses interest in them quite easily. We've found one of his favourite mice on a string with more and more missing feathers. He is actually so obsessed with it that when we use it to play with him, he thinks we're taking it from him and he'll hold it in his mouth and won't let go until we leave him. Lately we've heard him coughing once or twice, nothing came out though. I do look through his litterbox daily so I know if he's passing the feathers but haven't found anything yet... Worrying stuff!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page