unusual female cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

unusual female cat

before I go looking thru the web, I thought I would ask here first. Wish I had a picture but I don't yet. Next time I go there I will.

My son and girlfriend took in a stray and are trying to find the owner if it is lost.

It is a very short haired cat, maybe almost no hair with mottled skin, large ears and eyes on a pointed face. She is about 1-2 yrs old and is probably pregnant. Her feet are large with tuffs of fur on them. I would guess her weight at about 5lbs or less as she is thin boned.

If she were micro chipped, where would they put the chip? Would they be able to feel it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

You can take her to most vets, or a local shelter, and they will use a wand which will scan for a chip, as well as the information that is on it. You maybe be able to fell the chip under the skin, but you can not get the information that you need without the magic decoder

If she is so little and you thiink that she is pregnant please encourage your kids to take her to the vet. He/she will be able to determine if they think she is physically able to handle a birth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Premier Cat

I think my girls both have chips in their ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Tom Cat

Microchips are placed on the back of the neck, in the scruff. Generally you can't feel them and as already said they need to be scanned anyway.

They can migrate, so they'll always scan over the entire cat when checking for a 'chip.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

I've never heard of microchips in cats' ears. I don't even think that's possible, since they're so thin. A notch in the ear indicates the cat was fixed, usually done for feral cats.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Senior Cat

If she does not look like one of the hairless/nearly hairless/flat-coated breeds I'm going to list below, she could have mange or some other skin condition that is causing her to lose her fur. Since she has fur on her paws, it makes a skin condition sound more likely.

Sphynx:
http://kittysites.com/deluxe/destyny.jpg
(Sphynxes are usually entirely hairless, but some may have a light peachfuzz covering them)
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/e...ts-800x800.jpg

Devon Rex:
http://www.web-dvm.net/devon.jpg

Cornish Rex:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ornish_Rex.jpg

Rex cats have curly fur, but it can also be very thin - some Rex cats look nearly hairless. Most Sphynx cats are entirely hairless, or have very fine peachfuzz.

As for microchips - my cat was microchipped at the base of her neck, right between the shoulder blades. I can feel it if I rub that area - it's tiny, about the size of a grain of rice. But, she was microchipped 14 years ago, so the process/location of implantation may be a little different now.

As others have said, a vet will have a device that will detect and read a microchip immediately, even if it has migrated from the implantation site. Most vets won't ask questions or charge you, and will simply scan the kitty if you bring it in and say you found it as a stray.

Your son should also put up "Found Cat" posters in the area where he lives, and think about posting on Craigslist or other online sites (like the online Classified section of the local newspaper) if he's serious about trying to find out if the kitty has an owner. Always omit a special detail about the cat when doing something like this, so you can actually get serious inquiries. For example, if the kitty has an unusual marking on one paw or somewhere, ask any callers to describe the markings to ensure it's their cat.

When I found a stray cat hanging around my home, I went to my local wireless phone store and picked up a cheap "burner" cellphone to use as a contact when I posted on Craigslist and made Found Cat posters. This way, I did not endanger my personal cellphone number.

Keep us updated! :}

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Cat

My first thought was Sphynx, but they usually have no hair at all, including on their feet... a picture would definitely help. My cats microchip is between his shoulder blades as well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I've never heard of microchips in cats' ears. I don't even think that's possible, since they're so thin. A notch in the ear indicates the cat was fixed, usually done for feral cats.
For some reason, ear stuck with me, but you're right, obviously it's not a logical place for a chip. But I feel like they're not between the shoulder blades. Well, I guess I could have them scanned just for kicks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thanks all...after posting I checked out sphynx pictures on the web and that is what this cat is....don't know if it is no hair or just barely hair but she does look like most of the pics.

My formerly feral female, Marble, had a chip put in but I have never tried to feel it. Perhaps on the cat my son has one could or he can try the vet's office if no one responds to their posters. This cat just showed up at their door on Friday all cold and hungry and our weather was going to get a lot colder soon. Also, they are near two busy streets. They have checked their neighborhood for posters and were going to check the newspaper and online. They and I would like to get the cat returned to the owner if possible as we have indoor cats and other pets that we would surely miss if they got out and lost.

Again, thanks for the info....I had thought Marble had a chip between the shoulder blades but wasn't sure.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Cool Cat

When they chipped Io the handout said it's possible sometimes to feel the chip for a day or two after insertion, but DON'T EVER poke at it or terrible things will happen, fire and brimstone, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
For some reason, ear stuck with me, but you're right, obviously it's not a logical place for a chip.
Io's tattoo is in her ear, maybe that's why it was in your head? I don't know if tattooing is still used very often as ID, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page