Fostering a senior, but he pees on my bed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fostering a senior, but he pees on my bed?

So I ended up fostering the old cat from the no-kill shelter here, and so far things have been good...except he pees outside the box every day while I'm gone at work.

I am seriously getting frustrated. I scoop the box daily and I always find pee clumps inside, but then I inevitably find a large stain somewhere else. Last night I was pleased to find no wet spots on the couch (he had peed there the day before) but as I got into bed I discovered that he had peed there, all the way through my blankets down to the mattress pad. I spent the night under towels and bathrobes (in 40 degree weather) on a bare mattress and stayed up till 1 am cleaning, so I am not exactly chipper this morning.

He is between 10 and 12 years old, and I'm afraid this problem is partially a result of old age. He seems a bit senile, though he's improved a lot in the few days that I've had him. He has become more active and has started playing with some toys as well. He eats well (all wet food) and doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and has a sweet personality that I am growing fond of.

The question is, can this be stopped? Is there a realistic solution to this problem? He is probably stressed from being in a new environment, but I can't exactly wait for three weeks for him to stop peeing everywhere since I rent. I can't have him peeing all over the carpet or walls and end up losing my security deposit. He was checked by the vet before I got him (kidney levels and everything) and he came back with a clean bill of health so I don't think it's a UTI. I don't think the litter is the problem since he poops and pees in there with no issues and they used it sometimes at the shelter. He is just freaking out while I am gone at work...so how am I supposed to fix it? I can't exactly grab him and put him in the box while I am at work. I've thought about getting another cat to foster to keep him company, but I live in a tiny apt and I don't want to add stress to him by bringing in a new cat that might bully him or who might have territory issues with him.

If this continues, I am going to have to take him back to the shelter. I don't have a big place (or even own it) and I can't just lock him in the bathroom all day with a litter box....I think that is pretty inhumane. I hate to give him up but at least the shelter is no-kill and he can live out his days there.

Still, is there anything I can do? I've thought about Feliway, but I used it with my previous cat with no effect at all, and others I have talked to with senior cats have said the same things. I just don't know what my options are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Jr. Cat

From my understanding, peeing outside the litterbox may be a sign of a UTI. If I were in your shoes, the first thing I would do is take him to the vet to rule that out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He was checked by the vet only a few days before I got him and all of his specs (bloodwork and urine) came back normal. I don't see how he got a UTI in 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He eats only canned food with me, and he only ate canned at the shelter too. I feed him halo Spot's Stew but I'm not sure what he ate at the shelter...probably Hill's. His behavior doesn't seem to indicate a UTI...he doesn't strain or spend a lot of time in the litterbox trying to go...no crying or bloody urine, and no licking his genitals either. He seems perfectly happy and content while I am home and I haven't seen him use the litterbox excessively or pee elsewhere while I'm home. My guess is that he is somehwat incontinent due to his age or anxiety. I know 10-12 isn't that old for a cat, but he is in very poor condition and has had a rough life it seems, which has probably aged him to some degree. I mean, 10-12 is over 70 in human years isn't it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Cat

Another thought may be that if he is peeing on the bed specifically , not just out side the box anywhere. That might mean that there is a mental/emotional component present.

tamara
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I asked them to look at thyroid levels specificaly since he is very thin. Those came back normal too. He doesn't seem to just be peeing specifically in one spot, but he is peeing on the couch and bed both. I think he is stressed out from the new environment...he has been living at the shelter for 4 years so this is a sudden change.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Cool Cat

This could be interstitial cystitis, or perhaps sickness behaviour. The stress could come from your having to leave him for work reasons. It's at least something to consider.

Even healthy cats act sick when their routine is disrupted

JusJim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
This could be interstitial cystitis, or perhaps sickness behaviour. The stress could come from your having to leave him for work reasons. It's at least something to consider.

Even healthy cats act sick when their routine is disrupted
I guess you've considered most of that. Sorry! I should have re-read your post before I posted. (I'm old, too, and I read your post yesterday.)

JusJim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesneriad View Post
I asked them to look at thyroid levels specificaly since he is very thin. Those came back normal too. He doesn't seem to just be peeing specifically in one spot, but he is peeing on the couch and bed both. I think he is stressed out from the new environment...he has been living at the shelter for 4 years so this is a sudden change.
4 years at a shelter. I assume he was in a community. Now he is separated. That would kind of make anyone feel not so comfortable. He might think that the sofa and bed are the "humans litter box". We might think we are clean but to a cats nose???

May be put out a few more litter boxes. Next to the bed and sofa. Maybe just to see what he will do. Cats do prefer a box.

tamara
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Cool Cat

Have you ever seen him pee?

My sister's geriatric cat (at least 19 years) has fairly poor bladder control. He will sometimes pee himself in his sleep. Sometimes it wakes him up and sometimes it doesn't. It started when he was about 15-16, I think.

You've got the medical issues covered. Cheshire Cat has a whole host of medical issues, but none of them are really specific to his peeing himself. We realized he wasn't doing it on purpose when he was sleeping beside my partner's feet and went (lol). Other evidence was that sometimes he'd be, er, damp.

What my sister did is buy him a huge, very comfy dog bed with soft blankets and towels inside. It sits on top of a plastic mattress pad...thing. She changes the towels each day and throws everything in the washer once a week (I think... I don't actually know her cleaning schedule).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page