Collar brand opinions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Collar brand opinions?

I seem to have bad luck with break-away collars that have plastic buckles but I'm not a fan of the metal buckles. A while ago, I got a collar for my cat, Ying, and couldn't keep it on her for more than five minutes, so I gave up. I have a collar on my kitten Bear, and he doesn't bother it, but when he's playing with my other kitten, it's constantly popping off. Are there any brands that are a bit sturdier? Obviously I don't want to defeat the purpose of a break-away collar, but with these I may as well not bother with a collar at all. My cat Tugs has a good collar that stays on, but the brand has worn off. 0_o Figures...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Premier Cat

My sister has two cats which are indoor outdoor cats. They constantly loose their collars. I spend a fortune in collars and tags! The one which stays on the longest is one I buy at my vets. Tuff Lock. They are break away. They dont open as easily but do open when needed.

My sister's neighbor found one of the tuff locks collars high up in her tree where Sookie must of gotten caught on the branch. She returned it to my sister, the bell and tag intact!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Wow, I looked and they have a lifetime guarantee! :-D Unfortunately they don't come in kitten size, so I'll have to wait til the boys get big enough, but I think I'll get one for stinky Miss Binky now... let her try to get that one off hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Cool Cat

Tina doesn't wear a collar. She doesn't go outside and there's little chance of her escaping.

I'm thinking about getting her microchipped but AC doesn't even scan for chips here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Cat

Scott, I always cringe a little when people say their indoor cats have little chance of escaping.

What if a stranger or unfamiliar friend comes to your home and leaves a door slightly ajar?

What if there is a disaster of some kind (e.g., earthquake or fire) and a window or door gets rattled open?

What if someone breaks in?

What if your cat simply gets it into their head to bolt for the door while you're coming inside with a bag of heavy groceries or something?

The point is, not even an indoor cat with the most careful of owner has "little" chance of escaping. There's no excuse not to collar/ID and microchip a cat.

I also don't really see the point of bringing up the subject of your uncollared cat on a thread asking about collar brand opinions, but why not ;p

Now, onto an ACTUAL reply on relevant subject matter!

Minikin, I've been using Rogz brand collars on Win for a couple of years now, and they're fantastic. The thing I like best about them is that their break-away buckle has different "strength" settings, so for kittens, you set the "lock" to the weakest setting. Once kitty grows up, you can switch it to medium. If your kitty gets hulkingly huge, you can set it to the strongest setting.

Rogz | Use it or lose it

I've currently got the reflective orange one on Win. I like it because it's a leather-esque texture, and not a cloth/woven texture, so it doesn't get dirty and it doesn't fray.

I've never had her lose a Rogz collar yet!

Also, as a secondary note, if you're looking for a good, lightweight tag, I recommend Lucky Pet tags:

LuckyPet Pet Tags and Pet Stuff!

They're plastic and they velcro straight onto the collar, so your cat won't have a awkward tag hanging down their chest. They're durable - mine have lasted for a few years so far. What I do is velcro the tag onto the collar, and then I sew the velcro into place so even if the velcro itself loses its grip/cohesion, my stitches will keep the tag on the collar! :} Theoretically, glue could also work for this, if one is unfamiliar with a needle ;}

I've also used these more conventional tags:

Aluminum Xtra Small Pet ID Tags - $5.99 : Rossi Pet Tags, Pet ID Tags - Dog Tag and Cat Tag - and Tack & Saddle Plates - Custom Engraved

I get the circular-shaped ones. They're REALLY tiny and super lightweight, so they don't bother Win at all. I've got one on her collar right now with the Medical Alert logo with the words "Needs Daily Medication!" so if she gets lost and anyone finds her, they won't be tempted to keep her since she's a high-needs sick kitty ;}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Tom Cat

i've been using a small dog collar on mine only while I'm at home then I put his breakaway collar on. I'm hoping he'll think it's useless to try to get it off since it doesn't come off, but every time I get home I find the collar on the floor.

I'd never leave the dog collar on him when I'm not able to watch him in case of an emergency, but I'm starting to feel hopeless about a collar doing any good since it doesn't stay on.

I've been trying for about 2 months...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Wow, that's pretty high tech that it has strength settings! haha cool :-D I am rather awful with a needle but I'm an ace with gorilla glue It's good to hear about really lightweight small tags, as I don't want one that is going to topple the kittens over
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
The point is, not even an indoor cat with the most careful of owner has "little" chance of escaping. There's no excuse not to collar/ID and microchip a cat.
Nice presumptions there. We live in an apartment building. If Io "escapes" she's escaping into a long hallway, and I'm pretty sure she can't work the fire doors to get downstairs. So I can be as reckless as I want to and my cat isn't going to escape and get lost.

(But what if someone else is coming in and she gets through there? But what if someone else is also on the ground floor coming up the stairs and she gets out there? But what if someone else is also coming in the main door? And what if someone else is also coming in the security door? Okay, yes, there is a chance that the universe will align and 5 people have bad timing and no foresight when they see a cat who is dashing towards them. A cat who would rather be petted then run away from people. That's a calculated risk I'm pretty comfortable taking)

So, no she doesn't wear a collar. I'll put her harness on if we're taking her out for whatever reason, but there's no reason to make her wear something like that day-to-day.

Last edited by Jacq; 09-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Eh I live in a house, Jacq, so I don't feel safe that way... my cat Tugs is already trying to take every possible opportunity to get outside and manages to sneak out once every couple months... Luckily he generally wanders slowly sniffing everything so I can scoop him up, but I don't want the kittens uncollared if they decide to take up their big brother's bad habits :-/
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Cool Cat

Ah sorry minikin. I didn't mean to imply that collars were a silly choice for everyone, just that it's impossible to have a blanket opinion (like "every cat needs to wear a collar") apply to everyone, or even most people.

Good luck finding a combo leash/harness/tags/whatev that works for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page