Public perception of men who love cats: US vs UK - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Public perception of men who love cats: US vs UK

I imagine most of the users here are from the US so I'd like your opinion on this.

Back in my uni days I went out with an American girl who shared my love of cats. We still talk from time to time and she says I'm the only guy who's ever been crazy about cats, all her American bfs are either indifferent or only like dogs.

According to her, there exists a somewhat less favorable opinion of men who love and keep cats in the US. They aren't seen as masculine as guys with dogs.

Personally I've never been to the US, so I can't comment, but I have noticed that on several different websites that I frequent, this does seem to be the case with younger guys.

But I'm interested in what our fellow feline-enthusiasts from the US have to say about this. Would you say most younger men (18-35) consider cats to be a 'feminine' pet and would make fun of guys like me who carry over 100 pics of my cats on my phone?

In the UK this is hardly ever the case. Most of my friends infact either have cats as the family pet or love them and plan on adopting one or a pair if their landlords allow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Boy, I really hope BIGMANNYC sees this. He's about as far as what your perception of an American male is like when it comes to cats. In fact, maybe you should PM him and get him to post here.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Cat

My idea. Be it male or female, If you are more of a controlling type a dog is for you. If you are more of a 50/50% sharing type, then more of a cat person. This is a huge generalization. I like both.

tamara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Cat

To add, As as a young woman in the US, any male who had a cat as a pet was a big plus in my eyes.

tamara
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Cat

I'm a young male Texan (27) who owns one cat and no dogs, and yes, I carry tons of pictures on my phone. I'm a masculine, beer drinking, fast car driving/racing dude, and no one has ever thought twice about me owning a cat. In fact, most women think it's really sweet how connected my cat and I are (check out my post history for a picture of him laying his head on my mouse hand like a pillow while I use the computer). I'm confident and a pretty big guy, so no other guys give me any trouble about owning a cat.

I can't speak to the general perception of men who own cats in the U.S., but if you're a confident individual then people's perception of you individually isn't going to change because you own a cat. Loving animals (any and all animals) is one of the most manly things you can do IMO.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

I think you're probably making a general valid point C-D. But you'll not get anyone on here admitting it. Of course there are exceptions (like the fact not everyone from the UK is like me...) but on the whole, I think you're probably right.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

To be fair, the other websites/forums I've encountered this notion from younger men that cats are for women are almost exclusively sports-based, so perhaps it's due to miss-placed macho non-sense.

Saydee nailed as far as I'm concerned: "Loving animals (any and all animals) is one of the most manly things you can do IMO"
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Banned

Well yes... and if you go to car websites, you're unlikely to find men who prefer pressing flowers to polishing their exhaust pipes. So to speak.

I kinda understand why some men don't like cats. Mainly because SOME women who obsess over cats are best avoided (like that teacher in the harry potter books).
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

But obsessing over your cats is SO MUCH FUN!!! :-D

I can't help but feel a little bit offended when someone bad-talks cats. I'm very defensive of the species and HATE it when people say things like "cats aren't capable of loving people", to the point that ignorance of that magnitude is seriously enough to put off that person entirely.

It's also very unfair how people, whether men or women, can obsess over dogs and no one thinks it wrong weird of them, but do or react the same way about your cat and people look at you as if you said you have a pet hammer or screwdriver.

Anyway, it's nice to see that the IMPORTANT sex is appreciative of a man who knows how to love and adore the feline gods that enrichen our lives :-D
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior Cat

I think young men probably tease other young men for liking cats, but as mentioned before, I think it's a good quality, and I think most other females here would feel the same way. I hate to be harsh but I would not have married my husband if he didn't like cats! hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page