How to keep Kitty happy in the new apartment - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

How to keep Kitty happy in the new apartment

Kitty and I recently moved from my mom's into a studio apartment. It's a bit of a change for her and I just want to make sure shes happy. It's a smaller space, busier, noisier street, and she is now the only cat. I'm not too worried about her missing the other cat because they were never affectionate towards each other. She is alone in the apartment for at least 10 hours a day, six days a week, when I'm at work. She seems to be doing okay but sometimes she's a bit more needy then she used to be. When I get home she seems a bit upset and will meow at me until I sit down and pet her. Also, sometimes if I try to sleep in she will get on top of me and try to wake me up. I think some of this might be because I was giving her a dry cat food that was really for older cats. Tonight I bought some more appropriate food.

So does anyone know of any good toys or anything the keep her busy when shes alone? What do cats like to do anyway? lol. One thought I had was to get a small fish tank (one that she can't knock over or get into) so maybe she can watch the fish?

Any other ideas to keep Kitty happy?

Last edited by catman140; 09-24-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ah ha! What a great idea! I will definitely get a bird feeder. Though, I'm not sure how many birds I'll get around here, in the city.

Last edited by marie73; 09-24-2012 at 01:53 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Jr. Cat

I second the idea of kitty tv ... either via nature outside or artificially creating it on your own television. As long as your television is secure on it's stand or wall or wherever (so that the cat can't knock it over (if it's a flat screen), you can get DVDs called cat-sitter or something like that and put it on play and set to replay while you're at work! My kitties love it!! Your kitty may get tired of it after a while, but she may come back to it, or you can get multiple DVDs and maybe mix them up, or not play them every day and turn on the radio instead, etc. The fish tank is a great idea... get something like a 10 gallon or 5 gallon tank with a lid. She won't be able to knock it over if it's on a stable base. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

These are all good suggestions, but please keep in mind that cats sleep most of the time you're away. I used to worry about this, too, but no matter how long I'm away, no matter what time I come home, I'm almost always waking them up. Sure, they're greeting you at the door, but they've also just woken up.

These are a couple toys that my your kitty may like:

Five years later and my girls still play with this one

Petstages Cheese Chase Ball Track for Cat Toy

This is also popular

Bergan Turbo Track Cat Toy

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

So I got a 10 gallon fish tank, got a few fish and she has NO interest in it! Oh well, lol. I still think it's cool.

I don't think I'll do the TV thing just because it would use up extra electricity and I don't think its great for the TV or my playstation to be on all the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Cat

You may also want to have a cat tower for her; it will give her more room in your apartment. You could also "hide" some dry food (the good stuff) for her to find when you are away or maybe a puzzle ball treat dispenser.

Give the fish tank a chance - she may suddenly "discover" it when she sees the fish swimming. I also think the bird feeder idea is great.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman140 View Post
So I got a 10 gallon fish tank, got a few fish and she has NO interest in it! Oh well, lol. I still think it's cool.
Cats are strange. Just because she seems to have no interest in it when you're around doesn't mean she doesn't like it.

As far as the petting goes. You are the center of her life. You disappear during the day, when you return it's a relief because she wasn't sure if she'd been abandoned. She needs that petting to sooth her anxiety and keep her healthy.

When I got Zenobi (RIP), a senior cat, forl about six months she was all over me when I came home from shopping. Then it descended into a sort of "Oh! You're back are you?" Misssy, another senior, used to be demanding attention when I got home. Not so much these days.

JusJim
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I second Marie's post. My cats have that first trackball and both of them play with it.

Also a bird feeder if it's OK with your landlord. Real birds and squirrels are always more interesting to cats than those on videos. She may get interested in the fish tank after she's had time to watch it.

I wouldn't want to run a cat video all day. The cat will either get bored with it after she figures out it's not real or get frustrated.

She will mostly be sleeping during the day, so make sure to take time out and play with her when you are there.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Kitten

I do feel like the TV entertains my kitten at times. We've only had her for a month, but we used to shut the kitchen door when having dinner because she would try to get on top of the table and eat our food. Now with the telly on she just lies there on the couch, either sleeping or watching TV and we can leave the door open.

I wouldn't leave the TV always on though..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

I have a squeaky mouse on a string that hangs over a door in the hallway. Celia will rush madly down the hall in one direction, bat it, wait for it to stop swinging too much, rush madly back and bat it, etc.

There are also those balls that you put treats inside and they roll out as kitty plays with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page