Solutions other than extended boarding? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Cool Cat

Are you keeping your residence in the US? If so, you could pay someone to care for him while you're away. I am sure there are pet sitters who would give you a discount considering you'll need them for a year.

Your family/friends can't keep him, you can't take him, and boarding for a year just isn't even an option considering he's already wild. The only other option I can see is surrendering him to an animal shelter but from what you said he seems agressive and therefore probably isn't adoptable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Cool Cat

Hi again;

I read in your intro post that your kitty is only 10 months old. There's a good chance his "bitey"-ness is something that can still be untaught, and/or that he will grow out of!

He's also young enough that he has a very good chance and is not what I would consider "unadoptable". 10 months is very much within an age range to curb bad behaviours with success, IMHO. You might have a better time convincing someone to look after him for the year that you're gone if you
1) explain he is young and you are still working on teaching him manners
2) Pay the food/litter/vet costs while you're away (probably you will have to do this up front with someone you trust, or mail cheques each month on the stipulation of a photo update w/ a newspaper or something)
3) Make sure all of his vaccines are up to date before leaving, as well as getting him neutered if you haven't yet to prevent more unwanted behaviour like spraying.

I honestly think you have a good chance of finding someone to watch your little guy. But be careful, they may fall in love with him and not want to give him back. lol. (but, as a serious note, you are considering being away from your cat for longer than he's been alive, if that makes sense. There's a chance hid bond to you may shift or fade in a year's time)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Cat

If you can find a non-cat friend who is willing, you could train them ahead of time, teaching them how you deal with his misbehavior & biteyness, letting them spend time getting to know him and him getting accustomed to them, letting them see his quirks and what he likes and dislikes. Also, I definitely agree with the one room suggestion... provides for good damage control and is still much better than a small boarding cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Tom Cat

Ask your vet's office. There may be someone who works there, or they may know someone, who would be willing to take on your kitty for a year. I know if I were single and didn't have kids, (they don't do well with bitey) I would do it, and I bet there are plenty of other people who would, you just need to find them. Do you have facebook, you could put it out there, you never know who might respond. I don't know if you could contact a fostering program for something like this? Someone who is willing to foster might be willing to take kitty for you for a year. Good luck!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Cat Addict

I once house/pet sat for a family for a year that had to move overseas but didn't want to sell the house and all that because they knew they were coming back. I got extremely reasonable rent to take care of the house yard and 2 resident cats and guinea pig. Do you own your own place? Could you make this kind of rental arrangement with someone?

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Premier Cat

I was going to ask the same thing as Kobster. When I had to go abroad for 4 months, I found a student I trusted, who'd grown up with a cat, to cat sit for way reduced rent. So, essentially, a me replacement. Subletting was not allowed in my apt. complex, but since the lease remained in my name, that wasn't a problem.

If you can find someone you trust and you're willing to reduce your rent/mortgage in exchange for the "service," that would be far better than boarding. At least the place will remain familiar. I'm not familiar with the JET program - is it university-affiliated? ie, do you live near a college or university where there might be a ton of students who'd love the opportunity to exchange somewhere to live for cat care? You could then do interviews, have them over, and see how they interact with your kitty. Perhaps there's someone out there with experience with a bitey kitty like yours.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Wow, this thread has a less-than-supportive tone to it. Rather than stomping on the OP's life goals, couldn't we be more supportive and help her with ideas about placing her cat while she's there? My gosh, let's go back to the original question and not stomp on her dreams.
Yup. Excellent job, people. Real nice.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page