I think I'm going to say yes, but I wanted to get your options (boarding) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I think I'm going to say yes, but I wanted to get your options (boarding)

As you guys probably know, next Tuesday I'm going to China and then Banff (about two weeks total we'll be gone).

Originally, Io was going to stay at my house and we were going to get a pet sitter. However (as you may also know) there was an error in my last pay cheque and I was shorted about $1000 - which was going to pay the pet sitter.

SO, the new plan was that my little spitfire cat was going to to go stay with my sister, show has a geriatric cat that's huge and also a grump. For reference, here is the fatty-lumpus, Cheshire;

He is huge, and old, and sick, and grumpy, but also very mellow and loving to people. Here is Io:

She is young, and tiny, and sassy, and thinks she's much bigger than she actually is. She doesn't like being petted much and will scratch or bite you gently to let you know she's had enough.

It wasn't a great situation, but I didn't really have another option at this point.

HOWEVER,
My mom called me this morning. She mentioned that she'd be taking my cat in for a while and someone she worked with almost begged to take Io! This guy has two daughters (aged 4 and 6) who really really really want a kitty. Dad is okay with the idea, but Mama doesn't think the kids are ready. Io being over there would be a sort of 'trail run' of keeping pets and being responsible and all that jazz.

So, should I say yes?

Pros:

* A four-year-old in the house means it's probably already pretty safe for a cat.

* I don't have to worry about my cat giving Cheshire a heart attack, or my sister's cat ripping Io to shreds.

* Two little kids means Io will get lots of attention and play, which she desperately needs and craves.

* I feel a bit bad admitting it, but I think Io will be more likely to stay fed on her regular schedule if there's little girls that are excited about the new 'grown-up' responsibilities. My mom works 9-5, and my sister works nights in a bar, so they're always in and out.

* Io loves people and is very forgiving. she will want to play and not hold a grudge even if you scare her.

Cons:

* I don't really know these people, so I can't really get email updates, or be sure they're taking care of her.

* My mom is used to living with a sick senior cat who didn't like jumping on things even in his youth. I think she underestimates the amount of cat proofing needed.

* I can't be sure the family would go to the ends of the earth if Io got sick or ran out the door.

* Young children can be mean, and scary for a cat.

* My mom has a bunch of lillies right outside her back door, and doesn't understand the danger they pose because Cheshire's never bothered them.

* Io is young, and not mellow at all. She will sratch the kids if they mess with her too much. And if she is startled, or can't get away, she'll probably draw blood. I don't know how the parents will react to that.

At this point, I think both Io and Cheshire would be happier not having to share space. But I don't really have any experience with young kids and I don't know how it would go. My mom vouches for this guy, and I trust her judgement, but ultimately he's a stranger to me.

What do you think?

TLDR; Should I board my cat for two weeks with catless strangers with small children, or with family and a geriatric cat.

Last edited by Jacq; 09-28-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I forgot another Pro:

Ultimately, I'm happy to contribute to the likelihood of another family letting a cat into their lives.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Cat Addict

Children can be rather rough. Personally, I feel children can't handle pets well, esp when 1 of them is 4yo, but I guess there are always some exceptionally gentle kids too (minority), only the parents will know if their children are rough or gentle. Leaving Io and cheshire together, you will need to introduce them well too, am I right? otherwise, either one of them will be so stressed, but on the other hand, I understand using Feliway might help with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Cat Addict

My first cat was at five, though technically my father did all the work. I believe I knew to be gentle, at least. I can't say if four is too young or not to know how to interact with a cat. It also depends on your cat, will she be gentle enough for children of that age? If lo's the kitty ambassador though hopefully she's stranger friendly even when she's in a strange house.

Have the children been taught how to treat a cat? Or the parents for that matter? Does your mother know this work colleague well? If it was me, it would really depend on the answer I had to these questions. Only you can answer them.

I still might be more inclined to save the worry and have the cat at my mother's if she's offering. If the family is serious about a cat, they shouldn't need a two week trial with a cat they aren't considering adopting, IMO. Two weeks will not be enough time to prove anything in regard to if the six year old could care for the cat (I know I sure didn't, or if I did the appeal wore off fast)... I think it might be better for them to consider fostering if they're serious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 09-28-2012 at 05:36 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Snowy, my initial thinking was that they wouldn't be properly introduced at all. I thought Io would stay exclusively in one of the guest bedrooms by herself (the guest bedrooms have always been off-limits to Cheshire, since he pees himself sometimes). But, knowing my mom, she will let her out if she cries at the door. I've never used Feliway, but I think it takes too long to really have any effect while Io's there.

Carmel, thanks for the insight. I have no experience with kids and pets so I don't know how a 4-year-old will act, now how much supervision they have. My mom's not best friends with this guy, but she's worked with him for a few years and has met his little girls a few times. She says he's a very hand-on, very caring and gentle guy himself (as he'd have to be, as he works with Alzheimer's patients all day.)

Io is very good with strangers. Gregarious is the only way I know how to describe her. She stayed in her safe room for all of 10 minutes when we adopted her, and she greets strangers immediately when they come to our home. But she gets spooked easily - I've gotten some pretty terrible scratches, holding her when my partner turns the vacuum on, for example.

Thanks for the words of caution, guys. I'll have to think a bit more carefully about what's going to be easiest. To be honest, the two things I worry about with her staying at mom's are those **** lillies, and Cheshire' health. My sister would never forgive me if Cheshire died while Io was staying there.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
She is young, and tiny, and sassy, and thinks she's much bigger than she actually is. She doesn't like being petted much and will scratch or bite you gently to let you know she's had enough.
That alone tells me she might not be the best match for kids. When I was 4 all I wanted to do was pet animals

This is kinda worst-case scenario, but if Io *does* scratch the kids because they don't know when to stop petting/if they're being a little rough with handling, then that might turn the family off from adopting a cat entirely. Also, who knows how they will react? I've heard of people who discipline cats like they would discipline a dog. As someone above said, it really depends on how cat-savvy the family is. However, most shelters I've visited who have cats that don't like being handled too much reccomend families with kids 8 years and up. Sometimes 12 years and up.

I know a few people who have encountered some cats that didn't like being pet too much and went on to assume all cats were mean animals that aren't capable of affection. It sucks. I think some people don't realize that cats all have different personalities.

If it were me I'd choose the option with your sister, the cats could always be separated, right? However, all that said, it's really up to you! It sounds like your gut instinct is to go with the family, so maybe contact them, mention all of the personality traits Io has, and see what they think.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Cat

Oh no, lillies! I would be worried about that too.
This sounds like a tough decision, but I hope everything works out!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Tom Cat

I have firsthand experience with a lily and let me tell you that turned into a three month nightmare and a CRF scare! I went out of town with my husband for three days while my two girls stayed home, ages 22 and 19. I just agonized about leaving the cats for this short amount of time. I'd say things like don't leave any doors open for longer than it takes to get in and out, don't leave food out, make sure they don't get into onions, etc.......enough that eyeballs were rolling. So I went because what am I going to do, never take a vacation again?
Long story short: they picked me up from the airport when we came back and I walked into the door and into my kitchen and was horrified! While I was gone my daughters boyfriend gave her flowers: an Easter lily! Not only was it on the counter my cats eat on but it had fallen over and was laying in their food bowl! Now I know about the dangers of this plant but they didn't. ( maybe I will never go on a vacation again...........)
So yes, I think you should be very wary of those plants outside your mothers house.
If it were me I would contact your original pet sitter and tell them your situation and see if you get on some kind of payment plan with them. I think that's very reasonable.
The thing with the little kids is one of them is bound to get scratched and then the mom might ban your kitty to a garage or room or cage. Anything can happen.
Hope this helps. Didn't mean to scare you, just telling you no matter how careful you are or how particular you are about thinking everything through, so much is out of your hands. If your pet sitter says no, which I doubt, then line up some family members and friends to switch off days to come over.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Cat

Why are you worried about lilies? None of my indoor or outdoor cats even look at the things. They are like stones to them--just there. If a cat eats plants something is wrong. Dig up plants? yeah anytime. Go with having IO at your mom's. By the way, I have never heard of a cat who didn't scratch when the vacuum comes on. Don't you know vacuums are beasts that eat cats?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

The scratching issue could be easily solved by putting nail caps on her before you leave. But...I would not leave my cat with a family with small children because kids have a tendency to run out and leave doors open or stand in the doorway with it half open or just plain not walk through fast enough and it would be very easy for a cat to get out. In fact I don't even let my pet sitter come in through the front door where there is direct access to the big bad world...I make her use the side entrance to the garage so if a cat gets by her when she comes into the house, then it's confined to the garage. Unless the cat is petrified of the outdoors, this is a real issue for families with small children and I know many that started off intending to have indoor only cats and ended up with the cat escaping by the kids so often that it became indoor/outdoor by default.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page