How do you handle pets and emergencies (fire, etc) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How do you handle pets and emergencies (fire, etc)

Luckily, nothing happened, but the fire alarm went off in my apartment building today.

My kitten loves his carrier. It's out all of the time, and he even naps in it sometimes, but the alarm sent him under the couch and he wouldn't move. I have a bad back, but my couch isn't that heavy. I was able to drag the couch out of the way and scruff him to put him in his carrier.

Ideally, his safe place would be his carrier. I already leave treats and toys in there, and like I said - he loves hanging out in it, but this just isn't the first place he runs to when he's scared.

This whole process took a decent amount of time. This worries me if there had been a real emergency.

I only have one cat...I'd love to also hear from those of you with lots of pets - how do you handle things in an emergency? There's got to be a better way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

I'm incredibly neurotic about such things so I have an 'emergency plan' in place.

My cat carriers are behind the couch right by the door. There is also a small backpack there with 4 days of cat food, a large bottle of water, a change of clothes for me, a pair of shoes, and an envelope with enough cash for a few nights in a hotel. I also have copies of their last vaccine info(pretty old since I don't vaccinate), microchip numbers in there, and a list of local pet friendly hotels.

My apartment is pretty small with not a lot of hiding spaces so I'm hoping it wouldn't take long to stuff them in their carriers and run for it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Cool Cat

There were tornados on the ground near my house about a month ago and I wasn't home. I had my grandparent's lock my cat in the bathroom with the cat carrier in there incase they had to quickly go to the storm shelter. I believe she put the 3 dogs in there with her.

I normally have a soft sided cat carrier out all the time because Tina occasionally sleeps in it. Truthfully, I could be more prepared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I'm incredibly neurotic about such things so I have an 'emergency plan' in place.

My cat carriers are behind the couch right by the door. There is also a small backpack there with 4 days of cat food, a large bottle of water, a change of clothes for me, a pair of shoes, and an envelope with enough cash for a few nights in a hotel. I also have copies of their last vaccine info(pretty old since I don't vaccinate), microchip numbers in there, and a list of local pet friendly hotels.

My apartment is pretty small with not a lot of hiding spaces so I'm hoping it wouldn't take long to stuff them in their carriers and run for it.
Having a bag packed like that would go a LONG way towards cutting down time. I had to take the time to get myself ready to leave as well as chase down a terrified cat.

Even if I have a hard time getting to him, having my own stuff all laid out would make a big difference.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Yar, thats why I even put shoes in there. I figure even if I have to run out in my skivvies it's better than leaving the cats behind. I could always dress later.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
There were tornados on the ground near my house about a month ago and I wasn't home. I had my grandparent's lock my cat in the bathroom with the cat carrier in there incase they had to quickly go to the storm shelter. I believe she put the 3 dogs in there with her.

I normally have a soft sided cat carrier out all the time because Tina occasionally sleeps in it. Truthfully, I could be more prepared.
This is exactly how I feel. The carrier it out. He uses it. Getting him in it with a super loud alarm going off is another story.

This served to show how woefully unprepared I was for myself, let alone my cat!

If I work a late shift I usually hang out in my bathrobe after showering until it's time to go to work if I have nothing else to do that day. I wasn't even dressed when the alarm went off!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Jr. Cat

I live in Florida and we have a lot of hurricane warnings.. I also live in Tampa Bay which is the lightning capital of the world and with the lightning comes pretty nasty storms. We don't have basements in FL or cellars for protection. So during the really bad storms/hurricanes, we put things in the bathroom that we need for transport and evacuation purposes only.. We have our collapsible nylon crate that fits my moms mini poodle mix, her shih tzu mix, and my bassett hound mix. Then we put two large carriers (good for animals up to 20lbs) that are plastic air-plane approved and a smaller one for the rabbit. We also will include our car keys, our purses, our fire-box, vaccine records, and our phones.

I am very well aware of how under-prepared this seems. However, if we have to evacuate with no notice, we have four cats, four dogs, and a rabbit to relocate.

I'll be living with my BF soon, and we'll have three dogs, four cats, and a rabbit.

Since I have four cats in two bonded pairs they go in carriers two at a time. The rabbit goes in a carrier. And the dogs are leashed. In practice, it takes us 10 minutes to be backing out of the driveway when the animals are not hiding and are calm. I have several fire-rescue-my-pet stickers on our front door, window, and back door and back window. In case of fire, we will open the back door, the front door, and the garage door as well as bust in windows once we get ourselves outside. The dogs will follow us out hopefully.. the cats are going to have to be rescued or escape on their own. The rabbit will most likely not make it and would pass away from the smoke before I even get out the house but I'll grab him if I can get to him... I love my babies, but if I'm dead then the chances of any of them surviving is even lowered in a fire.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Senior Cat

Hmm I just have carriers... I guess I should put together an emergency kit, just to be safe. I do have a sticker by the front door like Thai mentioned.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah I have two kids, two dogs, and six cats in my care right now. It would really depend on how much time I had. If I had 15 mins of calm I could get everyone except the feral cat out, but if I had to get out immediately like in a fire, I would only be concerned about my kids. I would leave the doors open and hope the dogs followed me and the cats figured out how to get out.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Cool Cat

This reminds me I need to buy a fire extinguisher for the kitchen. I replaced the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors a couple weeks ago. I'm going to have to move one because I'm apparently a terrible cook and it alerts the monitoring company every time I turn on the stove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page