Leaving for a week - which would be better for my kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Leaving for a week - which would be better for my kitten?

Hi everyone! I'm leaving on December 31st - January 6th to visit family in Texas. Unfortunately, bringing Ellie isn't an option.

I'm contemplating two things for Ellie:

Leaving her alone in my apartment with people coming to feed her and spending 3 or so hours a day with her.

Or - letting her stay with my parents who both work from home and will be there 24/7. BUT - they have two Pomeranian's and my older male cat, Cuddles. I'm not worried about my dogs or Cuddles, but am worried Ellie may be scared especially since she's the only animal here besides my hamsters.

I keep going back and forth and to be honest am stressed and just don't want to leave her... lol. She's used to someone being here almost all of the time, and am kind of worried about her being alone in the apartment for the majority of the time for a week.

Any opinions or past experiences? Thanks everyone! I think I just need some help calming my nerves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Cool Cat

I would have someone come to your house for the 3hrs\day. That way Ellie is at least in her comfort zone of your home with plenty of familiar scents and no other animals to stress her out.

Cats already spend most of the day sleeping. If someone is coming over for some time each day, she'll get her food and a bit of exercise and interaction and you'll just have to get out a weeks worth of built up energy when you get home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you, 0ozma! That's what I'm thinking is best as well. I just need some reassurance - I hate leaving my baby behind! And woo, you aren't kidding. I'm going to have one extremely hyper kitten when I come back! Hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Cool Cat

Enjoy your trip
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, I'd have someone come to your house. I do this when I'm out of town. My Dad comes to do feedings, pettings, etc. I think that's much less stressful than moving them to a strange environment.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Jr. Cat

I agree with the idea of having someone come to your house to check on her, preferably someone you trust or someone she has met before!

Have a safe trip!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Jr. Cat

I left once for a week or so and contemplated the same thing. Our friend lived in the apartment complex beside ours and could come visit Meenu each day or we could bring her over to our friends apartment where there were no other animals. We thought Meenu would enjoy the ability to sleep with our friend since she slept with us every night and would get lonely so we brought her over to our friends house.

BIG MISTAKE!

Meenu was fine but our friend couldnt sleep because all Meenu would do was meow and meow and meow all night lol! As well as jump on and off her bed (so much for being lonely!). She ended bringing Meenu back to our house (we left her our key), and she ended up visiting her everyday instead. Moral of the story, it's just easier to let cats stay in their own house, to yowl, run, jump and play in their own place.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Cat

I have to say the first time you leave them is the worst, you feel guilty and know they will be lonely but taking them out of their own environment I feel is worse for them. My parents usually come and feed Lucky in the morning and then again in the evening, they do not have pets so don't know how much time they spend playing and interacting with him, I don't ask then I won't worry next time, but at least he is getting some attention at feeding time. Sometimes when I come home after a weeks vacation I feel that he didn't miss me at all, he will rub my leg as to say you're back and then go about his business!!!!

Debbie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

I vote for the home visits, too. There was a time when DH and I were both on active duty that I got sent away to a 6 week school in Colorado and he made an emergency deployment. For 6 weeks my neighbor came over to feed and sat and read magazines with the cats on her lap. They were fine - it was difficult when we all were finally reunited, but in no time we were all back to normal! That neighbor was pure gold and such a God send. I really miss them.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Cat

This is a no brainer for me, leave her at home with friends taking care of her daily. She will be under less stress staying in her own home.

I was in rehab last May for a whole month because I couldn't walk, my sister came daily to care of Autumn. I wouldn't want her anywhere else but in her familiar surroundings.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page