Covered litter box question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Covered litter box question

Okay, so I got a new puppy, and in an effort to keep her OUT of the box I want to get a covered litter pan, but they all need special filters, that are pretty expensive. I found a carbon filter at walmart, that you stick onto the litter box or near it, would this work for a covered box too if I stuck it to the top of the box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh nevermind, I found a top entry one! That should work to keep them out, or at least make it difficult to get into the box xD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Premier Cat

Let us know how it works. I'm a firm believer that you really don't need to filters if you scoop regularly. In a pinch you could buy bulk charcoal (from an aquarium shop) and put some in a pantyhose or other tight mesh bag and use that.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Cat

Yeah, those carbon things are really for your benefit more than anything. All our boxes have come with them, and I honestly never change them. I actually just covered up the slot for our outside one because I didn't want rain getting in.

If the top entry one is too small (I have read they often are), consider making your own out of a storage tub. You could even have just a regular open box inside of a Rubbermaid container if you got a big enough storage container, and that might further reduce litter tracking.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Cat

[QUOTE=Kytkattin;1584410]All our boxes have come with them, and I honestly never change them.

I also never changed the filter, no need to. I have always liked the covered litter boxes, it gives our kitties some privacy also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	candycane 011.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	39138

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
If the top entry one is too small (I have read they often are), consider making your own out of a storage tub. You could even have just a regular open box inside of a Rubbermaid container if you got a big enough storage container, and that might further reduce litter tracking.
That's what I decided once I saw the lowest price of the top entry ones. Like NOPE I'll cut a hole in a storage tub thank you!
But I may have found an even easier solution. And better for kitty too! They make "pet gates" that are small enough for a kitty to slip through, but too small for a doggie, and too tall for them to jump it. I figure it can be her litterbox area, as well as a safe haven for kitty when the dogs get too crazy.

Amazon.com: Carlson Extra Tall Metal Expandable Pet Gate: Pet Supplies

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Cool Cat

I just did this with a 30g tub. Works great.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfheartmoon View Post
That's what I decided once I saw the lowest price of the top entry ones. Like NOPE I'll cut a hole in a storage tub thank you!
But I may have found an even easier solution. And better for kitty too! They make "pet gates" that are small enough for a kitty to slip through, but too small for a doggie, and too tall for them to jump it. I figure it can be her litterbox area, as well as a safe haven for kitty when the dogs get too crazy.

Amazon.com: Carlson Extra Tall Metal Expandable Pet Gate: Pet Supplies

That might be perfect for you! For me, my dogs are all smaller than the cat, so mostly I just put things up higher. Sometimes covered boxes smell more because the smell is trapped (hence why they put those carbon things), so if you can just have an open box behind a gate you might be better off in the smell department. If you clean it regularly though you won't have problems either way.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
That might be perfect for you! For me, my dogs are all smaller than the cat, so mostly I just put things up higher. Sometimes covered boxes smell more because the smell is trapped (hence why they put those carbon things), so if you can just have an open box behind a gate you might be better off in the smell department. If you clean it regularly though you won't have problems either way.
Yeah kitty's box gets cleaned at the very least every other day.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Every other day? Wow, mine get cleaned twice a day. I must be OCD lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page