LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Adopting a cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Premier Cat

YEAH!!! I second this!! I love the old babies - they can be a challenge to win over, but when you do they totally BOND!!

Seniors rule!!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Cat Addict

I'm with ya too Marcia! Most of my kitties were just that, older cats. I love them! I can tell you when I get ready to rescue again, it WILL be an older kitty. My kitten days have been played out with these last two! lol Adorable, don't get me wrong, I love em to bits, but, whew!
And like you say, some can be a challenge to win over, but mostly that is NOT the case. They are as loving as can be! Their only draw back is they do NOT like screen licking squirrels. Outside of that tiny drawback, they are a dream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Cat

My daughter picked out our second cat from the shelter and at the time I really thought she would pick a kitten but she was instantly drawn to this adult cat. We nicknamed him "Clearance Kitty" because he was only $5. Sadly, his time was up that week - he had been there for a half a year. Every employee came out and cheered when we adopted him!

I was so leery because he had been an owner surrender and I wondered why he had been passed up so many times. (He is black and an adult - double whammy.) I envisioned him tearing up the house, never using the litter box, etc. After all, there had to be something wrong with him, right? But my daughter instantly fell in love so we took him home.

Right from the start it was as if he had lived with us his whole life. He has never made a mess, never had an accident, never had a problem with our other cat. He is easy and mellow. Snuggly to the end and an absolute sweetheart. Sometimes I just want to say "neener neener" to the people who passed him up because they missed out on an awesome cat.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Cat

I've adopted 1 kitten, 1 stray, and 1 shelter cat. The hardest cat for me was the kitten. The adult cats instantly trusted me - probably because they already trusted humans in general. The kitten took weeks.

So besides the supply and demand issue, adopting an adult is much easier.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

I have only ever adopted adults. I have adopted six adult cats from shelters to date, and they have all been awesome cats in one way or another - sometimes all ways! Well, our newest one has only been with us less than a week so we can't be totally sure, but he sure seems like a mellow sweetie so far.

When I was young we always had cats, and it seemed we always had female cats. That was quite a number of years ago and it was a time when people didn't seem to spay or neuter their cats like they do today. At any rate, my family didn't, and we had tons of kittens! We always seemed to find homes for them, but still it was irresponsible. I know how adorable kittens are, and also how high maintenance they are, and since I also know adult cats stand much less chance of being adopted I have always gone that route.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Jr. Cat

I just adopted Nixie at the beginning of December. She was 6 months, and been at the shelter since she was weaned. No one liked her because she was sooo shy. Me and my mom had already made the decision no more pets, but when I saw her all alone in one of the petsmart rescue cages... I knew I didn't want to spend her first Christmas homeless. She is very fearful, we work on trust everyday. Then at night (even though I can't touch her much yet) she will climb up in bed and snuggle with me under the covers The sweet moments are always worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StellaLuna Stars & Moon

Nyx (Nixie) Protogenoi Goddess, and personification of the night
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneazles View Post
My daughter picked out our second cat from the shelter and at the time I really thought she would pick a kitten but she was instantly drawn to this adult cat. We nicknamed him "Clearance Kitty" because he was only $5. Sadly, his time was up that week - he had been there for a half a year. Every employee came out and cheered when we adopted him!

I was so leery because he had been an owner surrender and I wondered why he had been passed up so many times. (He is black and an adult - double whammy.) I envisioned him tearing up the house, never using the litter box, etc. After all, there had to be something wrong with him, right? But my daughter instantly fell in love so we took him home.

Right from the start it was as if he had lived with us his whole life. He has never made a mess, never had an accident, never had a problem with our other cat. He is easy and mellow. Snuggly to the end and an absolute sweetheart. Sometimes I just want to say "neener neener" to the people who passed him up because they missed out on an awesome cat.
we love the older kitties, too! we adopted Angel from the shelter and we didn't know until we were filling out the paperwork that she happened to be their longest time resident at the time at 2 1/2 years! i was flabbergasted because it was mutual love at first sight/love bite (ha ha!). so much so that when i went out to find someone to start the paperwork for us, i ordered my husband to stay in the room with angel so NO ONE else would see her and try to "steal" her out from under us. oh my goodness. i can't imagine her being passed over time and again for 2 1/2 years while all the kittens around her were going home with families!!! my sweet angel! she was 10 1/2 when we adopted her.

our 2nd was 15 when we brought her home and our 3rd is 8 years old. he just happens to be so "young" because the place we adopted him from told us he was bonded to our 15 year old already so we couldn't leave him behind.

the 3 of them are a handful but we are so dedicated to our adults and seniors!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Cat Addict

Simon was 4, Nala 5, and Penny 7 at their respective adoptions. I really follow my own advice of picking a cat who chooses me. Age, fur length, color, health conditions are all somewhat subsequent factors. Rightly or wrongly, I don't rescue unwanted cats as much as I find suitable companions. That said, my favorite cats at the shelter right now are two FIV boys, an FeLV girl, an all black cat with aggression issues, and a 14 yo diva.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Banned

I went to the rescue group wanting an adult cat, about 5 yrs old, was even considering a black cat. The foster mom talked me into seeing Artie. He was supposed to be 7 yrs old. I hesitated, then I heard his background and my heart broke. When I saw him, (he is orange), it was as if I had a sign from above. He is orange. My last cat was orange!. When I signed the adoption papers, I discovered he was 8 yrs old~much older than what I wanted.
I was hesitant to go ahead with the adoption, but something told me to sign.
I took him home at 3:00pm; showed him where his food, water and litter box was; let him roam around the apartment. I went out for supper at 4:00pm. Of course he was hiding and checking everything out.
By 8:00pm, when I was lying down on the coach, covered with a comforter, Artie came over jumped on top of me, started kneading, and to my complete surprise began purring! I was so happy, I almost started crying.
All Artie wanted was someone to love..and it was me!
He is now almost 10 years old and he continues to be my constant companion!
Artie is my cuddle bug!
That was almost 2 years ago, and I absolutely love him! He has become so vocal, that we talk to each other!
Yes, we had a lot of issue the first year--medical, but he has settled in really well.
I agree---adult cats all the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page