Should I Board My Cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Should I Board My Cat?

I have a two year old domestic tabby and am planning to go out of town for several days this coming year to visit friends. The only solution I can think of for her during this time is to board her since having a pet sitter come in three times a day to feed her the way she is used to is very impractical where I live.

On the other hand, my veterinarian once told me that he recommends not boarding the animals he treats, presumably because of the risk of catching possibly contagious illnesses from other animals at the boarding facility. I have had several cats over the years and have never had to board any of them, including my current one before. Also, boarding in our area is very expensive (particularly if you find one that is particularly highly recommended and regarded, which is all I would ever consider).

Does anyone here have any experience with this or have any other thoughts on this subject? It simply seems like my only option at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

If you're only going out of town for several days then I don't see the harm in not feeding her 3 times a day during that time. She is an adult cat and shouldn't have to be fed that often even though it's your regular schedule. If you can get a cat sitter to come in once a day, or twice ideally, then she should be fine if you are only away such a short time.

I would avoid boarding my cat if at all possible. Cats are very stressed out by being in strange places and the stress may also contribute to them getting sick. Do you have any friends (or friends of friends that you trust) who would be willing to cat/house sit for you and stay at your house while you are gone if there are no cat sitters in your area?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Cat Addict

i agree with heather. is their a neighbor that you trust to come in to feed/play and change litter? or a friend??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Cat

If it was me I'd leave a lot of dry food out and a lot of water. I think boarding the cat is traumatic for them. I think they're better off at home.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmothecat View Post
i agree with heather. is their a neighbor that you trust to come in to feed/play and change litter? or a friend??
Thank you for the responses. My dilemma is that I live in a large metropolitan area and I simply don't have family and friends close enough to come in and take care of things. Also, the immediate area I live in is not an area where I can safely trust neighbors to come into my house while I am gone.

My cat only eats canned food so she eats at least 3 times a day. She also refuses to drink any water and the only water she gets is from her canned food. I have tried Drinkwell fountains, cat water bubblers and of course, plain water dishes and leaving a faucet slightly on. I have seen canned food automatic feeders but since they require ice packs, they are only good for very short periods of time. Also, the reviews on them aren't all that great.

My previous cat, whom I lost a year ago was a real gem. She would eat both canned food AND dry food and also drank lots of water from a water dish. If I needed to leave for a few days, I would make sure her litter box was good and clean, leave out large bowls of dry food and water and she was good to go for a few days while I was gone. Once I returned, I would return her diet to the canned food.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Why would having a pet sitter come by be impractical? It would be much less expensive than boarding and a better choice for your cat. And if you live in a large metropolitan area, there are probably dozens of companies to choose from. And I would think twice a day would be enough for the few days you'll be gone.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Tom Cat

For me pet sitting would be the only option. However, this is mainly because of putting my 3 in a confined space together for a long period of time would be completely unfair. I would imagine having one cat in boarding wouldn't be so bad albeit your cat would find the experience stressful.
If you are going to board be very choosey about where you put your precious cat. Make sure it is nice and clean. Heated. Secure. All those kind of things. I wouldn't place a cat anywhere I wouldn't stay myself!
I have also heard that taking something your cat loves to sleep on that smells of her can remind her of home and might be soothing.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Senior Cat

Hi Scott - since you live in large metropolitan area, I think it should be relatively easy to find a reputable/trustworthy pet sitter. If you're wary of individual ads, look for ones associated with a larger company/service that is properly bonded and insured. And just about every good pet-sitting service will schedule at least one meet and greet/interview session at your home, so that both you and the sitter (and the cats of course), can get to know each other and ask as much questions as you have so you feel completely comfortable and at-ease with the person you're hiring.

Caretaker of two black cats

Last edited by tezster; 12-30-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added comment
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM
tgw
Cat

We have a boarding kennel nearby that we trust and requires all cats (and dogs) boarded there have their shot record on file. If we knew of someone we could trust, we might consider a pet sitter, but so far no luck.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgw View Post
We have a boarding kennel nearby that we trust and requires all cats (and dogs) boarded there have their shot record on file. If we knew of someone we could trust, we might consider a pet sitter, but so far no luck.
Do they separate the Cat Area well away from the Dog Area??
Cats really don't do that well at boarding places...
Make SURE they have your Vets phone number!
Let your Vet know, that if Emergency care is needed...you pre-approve treatment!
You can set an amount that they can't go over, until you are contacted!
Have more than one way to get a hold of you!
Just some thoughts...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page