Thinking about adopting a kitty, no luck so far - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thinking about adopting a kitty, no luck so far

Hi guys, I thought you might help me out. I live in Ecuador so I'll explain what is the situation here.

So, I thought about adopting a kitty from the animal rescue asociation. They have so many animals fostered to so many people, and even people who foster 15+ cats at their place and need to find them home ASAP, according to their Facebook page.

I thought this would be easy. I've contacted 10 different places to see if they could let me see the cats so I could choose one. They won't let me come to them. My husband thinks that some of them might only be scams to get people to donate. For example, they ask for monetary donations or upgrade food and won't let me visit the fostered animals, and stop answering when I tell them I'd need to see the cats before to adopt

I contacted a lady that has 10 kitties at her place and she said she'll send me the adoption form but she hasn't done it. Last time I saw her facebook she spends so much time playing "animal rescue" and "candy crush" so I don't get why she couldn't just mail me the form...

Sorry for the vent. It's been a few weeks already and the only kitty I've heard back from and that I really want lives 8 hours away... I told my husband I'd like to travel and see if we can get him to come back with us so I don't know, because we would have to take the kids along... And I asked this lady's phone number and she haven't answered back. That was a few days ago

I don't really know what's going on. Most of these private rescues asks for donations because as much as they need to find them a home ASAP, nobody has adopted yet... So I've sent so many messages and I don't get any info back. This Christmas I offered to go visit the kitties but apparently they were not receiving any visits. Maybe it's because it's a busy time, but still I think every pet should deserve to spend a Christmas with a family.

Am I being paranoid, or should I suspect most of these private rescues are just scams? Sorry for my English and thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Cat Addict

Your English is great

As far as the kitties go I don't think its unreasonable to want to meet a cat before bringing it home, you need to pick a kitty that has the right personality to fit in to your home.

I'd wait a few more days, let things calm down after the holiday, and try again. I bet it had more to do with the craziness of holidays than anything else...I hope so anyways!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much!

I just find it is so fishy when they ask for monetary help urgently because they're out of food, yet, when I ask to bring the food myself so I could take a look at the kitties, they tell me not to because they're not receiving visitors and will let me know when they'll do. And that the donations are received somewhere else (their Pet Shop) they also ask for the expensive kind of food but in the pictures the cats are eating the regular kind.

I do think it is important to meet the cats first. I've got kids at home and a crazy 4 months old siamese, so I need a calm and cuddly fellow to balance things up a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Tom Cat

Just as a tip if you are looking for a calm, cuddly cat, I would look for an adult. Their personalities are pretty set, so you know what you are getting. Kittens are just a gamble, so you may end up with another crazy active cat

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2013 at 09:08 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Cat Addict

If you aren't comfortable then don't donate, but it may be a matter of them not having anyone to show you around more than it being shady. Many, if not most, rescues are run by volunteers on their own time. They may just not have time to meet with you. Or, if they're all in foster homes, they might just not want tons of strangers coming to their homes randomly! Lol, I wouldn't want that either!

Personally I wouldn't donate to an organization that didn't seem well run and like they were doing their best.

They may be asking for a higher cost item for a cat with dietary issues, or picky cats, or kittens. Many rescues try to pick one brand and feed just that because switching foods constantly can cause tummy problems.. when you have quite a few kitties with upset tummies it is NO fun!

I'd still say give them the benefit of the doubt for a while...but not your money.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Cat

If you hadn't said you were from Ecuador, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea English wasn't your first language.

I agree with Librarychick that perhaps the holidays have kept the "kitty connection" from working. Here in Florida the rescue places have adoption days at the local pet stores and you adopt them that way. Is there perhaps a situation like that in your area? (Showing my ignorance here!)

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
I'd still say give them the benefit of the doubt for a while...but not your money.

Thanks, this actually makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I have a few seniors in my want list but like I said, no reply from their foster homes yet. The only lady from my town that has replied so far (the candy crush one) is going to show me her 6 month old siamese mix, so far she says the kitty is really affectionate and lets people pet her. She lives pretty close to us as well.

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2013 at 10:41 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneazles View Post
If you hadn't said you were from Ecuador, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea English wasn't your first language.

I agree with Librarychick that perhaps the holidays have kept the "kitty connection" from working. Here in Florida the rescue places have adoption days at the local pet stores and you adopt them that way. Is there perhaps a situation like that in your area? (Showing my ignorance here!)
Aw thanks! I used to be an English teacher but now I'm a SAHM.

They had this campaign, something like "Give them the perfect gift for Christmas, a home of their own" or a family or something like that, so I thought, why not? Of course it looks like most of them didn't find a home for the Holidays They do have "adoption days" as well! But you can adopt a pet from their foster home at anytime convenient for them, likewise.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned

It does sound a bit strange to me though, especially if there is a campaign of some sort going to get cats homes for the holidays and then you can't see the cats to give them a home. I know we adopted our newest cat Sunny on Dec. 21st and the shelter was eager to have as many people in as possible so the kitties could get good homes for Christmas. They also have fostering, and the foster homes were all posting on Facebook as well that everyone was welcome (for the home-to-home viewings, the rest are brought in on adoption day).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page