ASPCA no longer to investigate animal cruelty cases - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thumbs down ASPCA no longer to investigate animal cruelty cases

Just read that the ASPCA has transferred its responsibility for investigating animal cruelty cases to th NYPD. This is BAD news for the abused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Tom Cat

What? WHY?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Premier Cat

OMG! REALLY? That's Nuts! Like the police have time for that...
This is not good news at all!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Cat Addict

This article puts a positive spin on it, saying the police have more officers to dedicate to it since ASPCA has transferred much of its workforce away from abuse enforcement to go to advocacy. The pilot program reportedly went well. But I don't live in NY and have no experience with either group. I don't know what will really happen.

ASPCA closes storied enforcement unit in NYC - SFGate

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Page 36 of the newspaper we get on a "daily" basis.

A woman was complaining about her ferals gone missing since the summer. She thinks foul play was involved. That's what the ASPCA told her. This happened in astoria (Queens,NY)

Definately NOT good news...very sad
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like it's a good thing.

Quote:
The change is one that has been sought for years by some animal advocates, who said the ASPCA's small enforcement staff couldn't handle the volume of abuse reports and was taking weeks or months to respond to calls regular police could probably get to in hours.
Quote:
As part of a pilot program, NYPD officers have been handling animal abuse complaints in the Bronx since September, said ASPCA spokeswoman Emily Schneider.

"During that four-month period," she said, "the NYPD has responded in a positive way that illustrates how their size and scope will allow them to enforce animal cruelty laws across NYC better than we could on our own."

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

People in need will ALWAYS come before a pet. I'm not so sure marie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Cat

If they can have a few officers dedicated solely for this purpose, I could see how it would work out much better for the animals (a packing, trained officer might be able to get more headway, and more quickly).

If however, they are just putting more responsibility on existing officers I don't think this will do much good for the animals unless there are officers who personally take the time to care.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Jr. Cat

I live in NYC and actually adopted my cat after he was rescued from one of these ASPCA-investigated apartments (animal hoarder/neglect).

I know the ASPCA program was over-burdened given the number of complaints and investigations they handled. I was very sad to hear they have ended the program, because they seemed to do an amazing job with the rescues and performing the investigation/extraction of animals in abusive/neglectful homes. As you all have said, I can only hope the NYPD creates the same kind of dedicated cruelty investigation unit to do this work… I hate the thought of all those complaints (and potential rescue animals) ending up under the radar because the NYPD is overworked...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmothecat View Post
People in need will ALWAYS come before a pet.
And they should. The article shows that the ASPCA was only able to handle a few cases and the NYPD was doing much better in the pilot program.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page