2013 shelter stats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

2013 shelter stats

A note from our shelter president, letting volunteers know how we ended up.

Quote:
First, to wrap up 2013: We took in 410 cats in 2013 - this ties a record set in 2009. To be honest, if someone had told me a year ago that we’d take in this many cats in a year, I would have told them they were crazy! But we did it, and lived through it! Adoptions totaled 339 in 2013, not quite reaching the record of 347 set in 2009. Over 260 feral and stray cats were spayed or neutered through our TNR program, preventing the birth of many kittens. None of this could be accomplished without you! When I tell people what we do with our volunteer “staff”, they are amazed. (Some people say that I am lying, actually.) Give yourself a pat on the back for your part in helping so many cats. No matter what your Cat House “job” is, you’re a valuable contributor to the success of this organization.
As you can see our intake exceeded our adoptions, so we're very thankful to the many foster homes in our system. As a no-kill shelter, we will never displace a cat for a more adoptable cat. This kind of skews our census to indicate a higher-than-normal percentage of cats with chronic or end-stage illnesses or behavioral quirks, but it's amazing how many of those cats get adopted too. Overall, a very good year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Senior Cat

Wow - that's great! Congratulations!

So, that's about 70 cats taken in more than were adopted - how many are in foster care? Just curious how many foster homes you have.

That's so great to see a no-kill shelter doing so well. It is tough, the 'less adoptable' cats can wind up in foster care for so long. Glad that someone is caring for them. Thanks for volunteering and helping such a great organization!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Premier Cat

That's great news. I can tell you, it's heartbreaking to work at a city shelter that takes in that many in 2 months and adopts out only half. It's heartbreaking to look around a room of 20 cages and realize that half will not be adopted and euthanized. I look at Bon Nuit, my cute adorable little tuxedo here and realize that she just plain likes to hiss an objection - she is not mean at all but try and tell that to the parents of a child; or Pekoe that will give a "don't put me back in there" nip but would not do that in a home setting. I feel the need to be there just to justify their existence sometimes!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page