Cat Carrier Recommendations - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Cat Carrier Recommendations

One of the many things I need to buy before I even start looking at cats.

I really like this one, but will readily look at any other suggestions people have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

I have one like your link and another like this: Sherpa™ Large Original Deluxe Pet Carrier (except mine has flaps that unroll and velcro over the mesh so they can't see if I don't want them to).

I like both equally, they have different advantages. The hard tote is great for car rides and seems more comfortable for them in the car. Be sure you get a size that lets kitty grow. Mine is really way to small for either boys now and I should get a new one. It's size makes me use the soft one more often unless both boys are going with me.

The soft one has a shoulder strap and that makes it WAY easier to carry. I have to be careful though and make sure I snap the little zipper tab into the shoulder snap or both my boys will unzip it with their nose (there's a little twist button there to stop them but mine get past it) and wiggle out. It also collapses around them a bit when I set it on the car seat so it seems like it would FEEL confining to them but... they don't object over much either way.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Tom Cat

Or we could go completely obscene and get one of these bad boys....

Sleepypod Medium

Which is what I really want to buy with my tax return, rather than throwing it all at student loans...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I like both equally, they have different advantages. The hard tote is great for car rides and seems more comfortable for them in the car.
Yeah, we're not going to be doing any hard traveling, just to the vet and home again. And, of course, the all-important first arrival home from the shelter.

Do the hard carriers come with a floor pad, or would I have to buy one?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Cat Addict

If you get a hard sided carrier, look for one that can be opened from the top as well as the end and that doesn't take unfastening 14 different connections to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Premier Cat

Regardless of hard carrier or soft, you'll want a pad for the bottom. You'll want something that can be washed easily.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Tom Cat

That one looks great AutumnRose! My husband especially likes a top-opening carrier. We have a soft-sided one, but it has netting for the "windows" and the kittens started chewing a hole in it on the way to the vet! I like that the hard-sided ones can be cleaned easier if necessary. If you have any plans of traveling by air, I'm guessing that one wouldn't work, but it didn't sound like you were looking for something like that. I really like it and would have considered it several months ago when looking for a carrier for our kittens had I known about it. The price seems reasonable too. There are probably less expensive ones, but there are a lot of nice features in the one you found.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Tom Cat

I got the soft-sided "PetNation" sold on Amazon. I think it is 20", up to 15 pounds, but maybe a size up...can't remember. Anyway, one advantage to the soft-sided is that if you are limited on space, it can be easily folded up and stored. I think the 20" is just under $25.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

^^^Yeah, I'm really leaning towards that one.

Thanks, guys, and I'll add "floor pad" to the list of things I need to buy! Maybe I could use a smaller towel folded over several times to fit.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Tom Cat

Do you have your cat picked out yet? Maybe when you do, you could leave a blanket or towel with him/her overnight before you take the cat home. It might give them some comfort? I guess that wouldn't work so well if you pick and take home on the same day...but just an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page