Litter box question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to stellar981
Litter box question

I was looking for a storage container some time ago, and came across one with reviews about it being used as a litter box. Now, I cannot locate that item again for the life of me. Currently I have an XL covered box, and a regular one. They prefer the XL one, for obvious reasons. But I have a cat who likes to pee against the side of the box, and it gets in the crack where the top and bottom meet. I was thinking I could resolve this completely by getting a storage bin instead. My cats all seem to like to pee against the sides, so I always have an issue scooping it out. So a bin with the least amount of ridges for litter to get stuck in would be best. Does anyone else here currently use bins, and could you point me in the direction of one you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Tom Cat

I just use a standard rubbrmaid tote. I cut a hole in the side as high as possible, and fill it with about 5 inches of litter. The bottom isn't completely ridge free, but with that depth, cleaning has never been an issue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Premier Cat

Stellar, the Rubbermaid storage containers are the best as far as I'm concerned! First off, you can actually cut a hole in it without it cracking! I tried the cheaper sterilite brand and the plastic is very brittle and all it did was crack-two containers, both cracked, not much of a savings there! Lol!
Measure for the depth of the litter, add approximately 4 inches to that measurement and mark bottom of where you want to start the hole...
And you're off and running!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 AM
Banned

I wish I had read that before yesterday, 10cats2dogs! I bought the 30-gallon Sterilite tote, & a piece of the rim cracked as I was cutting the door. I duct taped it back on when I was finished, as well as taped over all of the cut edges because those are knife-edge sharp!

BTW, are the Rubbermaids easier to cut than the Sterilite containers?? I had a bear of a time cutting through that plastic - scoring the lines with a box cutter, melting the plastic with a BBQ lighter and then cutting with a pair of kitchen scissors.

If I give kitty a second box, I definitely will go with Rubbermaid next time!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for your responses! I will definitely look into Rubbermaid then
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
CHW
Banned

I use an 18 gallon Sterilite container and use about 40lb of litter in it, so it's several inches deep to prevent urine build up on the bottom. I don't have a "door" cut in mine, Oliver just jumps in and out over the top. Best part is I have no litter tracking because anything kicked up when he gets out hits the sides and falls back into the container!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHW View Post
I don't have a "door" cut in mine, Oliver just jumps in and out over the top.
That's fine while he's a young cat, but wait until he gets older.

The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Litter box management, types of cat litter, feline house soiling, inappropriate elimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by from website
Definitely cut a door in the box and don't ask your cats to jump in and out of it. Jumping into it is easy for young cats but pushing off of sand that gives way is not going to be a good thing for the joints in their hind legs or their back - no matter the age of the cat. An older, arthritic cat would probably end up refusing to use the box if forced to jump in and out of it.
My co-worker's cat is starting to avoid the litter box. He has one of those boxes with the hole in the top for his cat. I should also add that the cat is declawed, and declawed cats often develop arthritis as they get older because declawing changes the way they stand, balance and walk. This cat is only 7, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the issue with him.

Last edited by AutumnRose74; 02-11-2014 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

AutumnRose, thanks for the link! Some very helpful information!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

AutumnRose, the Rubbermaid totes are a 'softer' non brittle plastic, I've used a serrated knife to cut the holes in them before...a box cutter knife should work well! Oh one more thing, the lid can be used as a 'porch' so to speak, if you have a cat that pees high and it happens to have its rear end facing out the door! (Murphy's Law!)
The lid will catch any run over and easy to clean!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

I bought 2 of these (couldn't beat the price) today.

I just finished cutting a cat sized whole in each (Book tested and approved). I used a box cutter I brought home from work. It was super easy and I didn't even cut myself. In fact, parts of it were just barely scored and it was enough to pop out the big square.

I haven't put litter in them yet (will have to pick up a few more boxes to seed these big suckers. I'll get that done tomorrow. The bottoms aren't completely flat, it's got a bit of a channel around the outer edge. This may present a problem but for under 13 bucks I'm not too stressed about it for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page