Dr. Elsey's litter turns to "cement". Not normal? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Dr. Elsey's litter turns to "cement". Not normal?

I use Dr. Elsey's precious cat litter. I thought I loved it until I read some reviews about it online stating that the pee balls turn to "cement", which is true. I constantly have to break off pee from the side of the box and it's like disgusting wet cement, but I thought this was normal for ALL litters so I didn't complain.......is it? Also some reviews complained about pee going to the bottom of the box even with ample litter. I have this problem too. Pee balls stuck to the bottom (wet cement). I thought all litters did this and that's why I didn't blame Dr. Elsey's.

If it IS this litters fault and litter shouldn't turn to wet cement, then what else can I use? I mean everyone says this brand is the best of the best.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

It's so annoying when everyone has different opinions on litter. I mean it's litter. Cats poop and pee. How much can it differ between users? How can it turn to wet cement for one person and not for someone else?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Senior Cat

I hate not to be of any help, but that doesn't happen for me. I use Dr Elsey's too! I do put a lot in the box. The clumps are very hard, but I like it that way because then it doesn't crumble and dirty the rest of the litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Premier Cat

This happens with any clay scoopable litter. Complaining that it turns to cement is like saying the sun is nice but it's hot in summer. Well duh! Plus it's not accurate. It's not cement. Try building a house out of it.

I use a heavy duty metal litter scoop, it gets those hard stuck-on clumps off with little effort. I like Dr. E but for the $$$ Tidy Cats works just fine for me. With 5 cats it comes down to value for me.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraei View Post
Also some reviews complained about pee going to the bottom of the box even with ample litter.
Well, how ample is "ample"? Some cats dig more than others and need +4" inches in the box, and with other cats you can get by with 3.5". I was making my litter box last night (using a storage container) and one thing I did was mark my depth line. I put it at 3.5" and, honestly, that's not very deep. But it is my starting point, and I can always go deeper if my cat turns out to be a real digger.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Premier Cat

Agree, some are diggers like my Jack - like he wants to get to China - would not matter if I had 2 or 12 inches of litter, some just step in and go.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Cat

One of these days, someone needs to invent a teflon-lined litter box.

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molldee View Post
I hate not to be of any help, but that doesn't happen for me. I use Dr Elsey's too! I do put a lot in the box. The clumps are very hard, but I like it that way because then it doesn't crumble and dirty the rest of the litter.
The crumbling I encounter is when I have to scrape the pee balls off the sides, corners, and bottom of the box cause they are stuck to it and won't come off easy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Cat

is this "wet cement" with the pee in the litter new to happen for you, or is it something that has been happening for a while?

if i remember correctly from what i've heard from other cat parents who use dr elsey's precious cat litter, the 40 lb bags of this litter are much less dusty than the smaller bags. if you're using the smaller bags, then maybe it's the smaller particles (the dusty part) that might be causing the "wet cement".
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Senior Cat

I use Dr Elsey's too. I can relate to what you're talking about. I use a full bag per each litter box and it does go to the bottom, and it does stick to the sides. It's very difficult to remove.

It's still the best litter for us though.

I use the 40 pound bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page