Maximize the chances of locating your lost cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Maximize the chances of locating your lost cat

Interesting take on a tag for a pet collar to help get your cat home! Beside having a microchip to double the help of locating your cat.
https://www.furcode.com/pet-qr-collar/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Cat Addict

Thank you. Wish it had a GPS tracker on it. I am a little concerned about it breaking away and having to replace $35 collar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Jr. Cat

That's a really cool idea, but I agree that it's a pretty steep price. QR Codes are pretty simple and free to generate on some websites so you're really just paying for the service :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

This is the same concept as pethub. I got a free 1 year premium sub for MowMOw (from a contest) and they were kind enough to toss in an extra collar/sub for Book.

It's pretty nifty. I like how Pethub sends you an email anytime your pet's code is scanned. I can only imagine how much relief I'd feel to get that email if they were lost, I could pinpoint almost exactly where they were found....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Cat

Having a collar that has your phone number on it is a good thing. Microchipping has limited effectiveness. I'm sure there are a lot of cases where someone took in a "stray" cat and didn't know someone owned them until they got sick and took them to a vet.

I also think there are a lot of people who would take in a stray cat and once they fall in love with it, they're not about to return it to their rightful owner.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

Bill,
That's why its so important to get out ads in papers, on craigslist, posters plastered everywhere, contact any shelters, put posters in vets office's, etc. Offer a Reward!
If your cat has health issues put that on your posters!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Tom Cat

For a helpless stray I had hanging around, I did craigslist and the human society has a website for lost or found pets. I posted pics on both and checked the neighborhood for posters but alas, no calls. So we brought her in to Cat's House and the wife and her are 'buds'. She is still skeptical of me (after all I did for her and feeding her outside for a month twice a day). Geez.................even spent a hundred and fifty at the vet cause she had a virus.....but that is ok.....she was warm and safe all winter and is something for Eliza (21) to 'talk' to.... Lately she even comes to me on the bed but doesn't stay long...a head rub or two or she will lay down close by, in between the other two if they let her.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Microchips sure are a big help to those who do rescue though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Cat Guy View Post
Having a collar that has your phone number on it is a good thing. Microchipping has limited effectiveness. I'm sure there are a lot of cases where someone took in a "stray" cat and didn't know someone owned them until they got sick and took them to a vet.

I also think there are a lot of people who would take in a stray cat and once they fall in love with it, they're not about to return it to their rightful owner.
I'm sure there are just as many cases where the person took the cat straight to the vet/shelter/rescue and they contacted the owner.

I asked my vet about the second comment when I was in the office one time and she said that THEY would be the one making contact, not the person who brought the pet in.. for that exact reason.

Personally, even if it only had a minimal chance of working I'd do everything possible to make sure my boys came home to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page