Would you leave your cat with a non-cat person? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Would you leave your cat with a non-cat person?

My neighbour just got back from their holiday and came over with gifts. We have always helped each other with watering the plants, clearing the newspaper, mails etc whenever any of us leave for holiday.

While chatting, I talked about the trouble of looking for boarding for ET, and surprisingly, my neighbour said I can leave ET with her if I needed to go away, she and hubby are not afraid of cats. I asked if she has any allergy, cos she has loads of medical condition but her reply was no. Her married son has a dog and they do come visit with the dog every once in a while and she's said she was ok and can handle.

I'm not sure, having a dog visiting only once in a while and never handled a cat before and leaving a cat there with that much hair flying around, hubby didn't feel comfortable cos he said they probably didn't know what having a cat staying around is all about.

So, we were toying with the idea of them coming into the house. Hubby is comfortable with that, he didn't mind leaving the keys with them. Oh, how happy was I, at least I can have ET stay home for once.

Would you leave a cat with someone who has never dealt with or handled a cat before, especially a scaredy one? I guess, all I ask for is someone to feed and clear the poop, that shouldn't be too difficult, am I right? I did mention about clearing the poop, neighbour said "no problem". Is there anything else I should be aware of, leaving a cat with a non-cat person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Premier Cat

I *MIGHT* be ok with them coming to my house to care for the boys.... but I'd have to trust them and know them REALLY well.

I wouldn't ever take them to someone else's house. I wouldn't feel safe that way.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Cat Addict

My Dad usually checks on my cats when I'm out of town (and vice versa). He's pretty close to me, so he's usually my go-to. My Mom and sisters have checked on them too, but they're all over an hour away, so it's kind of an imposition. Apart from really close friends, I don't think I'd be ok with someone watching them.

I'd be ok with them staying at my Dad's house, but both of my sisters and my Mom have dogs, so I definitely wouldn't leave them there. I don't think I'd let them stay at anyone else's house though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Senior Cat

My neighbor takes care of the cats and keeps a key to our place for emergencies and she's allergic to cats lol... she loves my cats though... she got drunk and kept kissing asia... her face swelled up lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

I have boarded my kitties in the past- never again, my tortie baby was terrified the whole week, and it was a NICE place.
I usually do have someone come in, feed Pazu, play with him, scoop the box, give a treat or two. They also bring in the mail, water the plants, check on the house, make sure the furnace is going, etc,...
I had a dog person watch Pazu, but she is also a really good ANIMAL person! yk? She is allergic to cats, prefers dogs and horses, but would definitely be able to deal with taking him to the vet in an emergency.
I'd be much more comfortable with someone coming in than taking Pazu to someone else's house.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Cat

Why not have the neighbor come over and get to know your cats? I wouldn't want to trust someone with my cats without knowing how they interact with them.

I'd rather have someone come over, clean the litter boxes, and put out fresh food and water. I wouldn't want to stress the cats by putting them in a new place with unfamiliar people.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for all the input. I should think having ET at home would be most ideal. I'm not sure how my neighbour feels about that cos we didn't talk about having them come into the house last night. Hubby is concerned about the wife's medical condition if we were to leave ET in their home. But then, I would feel kinda uneasy if they leave their house keys with me, so I'm not sure if they feel the same.

Moreover, I can't even call them a dog person, they have never even taken care of one. Just having a dog over for 1, 2 hours only OCCASIONALLY is a totally different story. Moreover, ET is a real scaredy cat. There is still a wee bit of uneasiness in me and I can't tell exactly what it is, but that is really the best solution if things do work out. Maybe I should just let ET familiarise with them before I decide, I don't know, the major issue is still, "they have never handled a dog/cat" and "will ET bite stranger".
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Snowy how long do you plan on being gone?
As long as you show them where he hides, just so they can get a visual check on him, I wouldn't worry to much about him biting them as he'll just want to hide while they are there!
As far as knowing is he ok, they can get a good feel of that by seeing that he's eating and using the litter box and drinking water (pee clumps will show that!)
ET will do so much better in his own house with all the familiar scents and sounds!
I would think he'd be fine...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hubby will be leaving for a family trip the next couple days which I have opted out, but he's been talking about us joining his friend's family for a longer trip, approx 8days. I had been undecided, but if neighbour is willing to come over, that probably will help alot. I never expected my neighbour to even suggested it, never, cos I never wanna impose on anybody who is afraid of animals, but I'm sure glad she offered, at least I now know she isn't against the idea of taking care of a cat. My mom, sis-in-law, niece, nephew for one, will not hesitate to help us with anything, the only exception is, taking care of our fishes and ET, they never like animals, lol...so I know, I wouldn't even dare mention to anybody who has never had pets in their life.

Maybe, ya, I shouldn't worry too much, ET will probably be hiding when they are around. Thanks for all the assurance that he will probably be fine and happier staying home, even with a non-pet person.

I talked about paying them for the job, but neighbour will not hear of it. I know they are not short of $, but paying them would make me feel better. Maybe, I'll talk to them again about this kinda arrangement - them coming into the house instead of ET going over and at least accepting a monetary token from me. This is different from the previous help I get from them when the son helped me with servicing the computer. I bought them pizza back then, but its different this time. I'll need to pay someone to come in anyway and I wanna at least pay them $.

Last edited by snowy; 02-17-2014 at 09:51 PM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I would feel kinda uneasy if they leave their house keys with me, so I'm not sure if they feel the same.
Why is that?

I think getting to know a neighbour and keeping a spare pair of keys at their place is a great idea, until my neighbours moved last summer that was the setup here for the last ~50 years. Meanwhile, the house one over leaves their will with us when they go on vacation... which they do frequently. And we pick up their mail while they're gone, too. Even cut their grass once when it started getting long...

Having someone living around you that you can depend on for little things like this is nice.

I'll echo what others have said though about the whole idea of keeping ET at your house, not theirs. No need for the stress it'll cause ET, and imposing on them with your cat when they're not cat people doesn't sound like the greatest plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page