Anyone use Yesterday's News Litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Anyone use Yesterday's News Litter?

I recently got yesterday's news litter after my brother'a gf raved about. It really like the fact that there is absolutely NO DUST and it smells pleasant. I was using fresh step and there was dust everywhere! And Vanellope loved getting her paws wet and going into her litter box where it would clump to her feet. The problem I am having is I'm not sure how to clean the litter box. With the fresh step, I would just scoop out the clumps twice a day and I would fully change it once a month. So with this litter, it doesn't clump. Help me lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Premier Cat

I've tried it years ago, as well as all the other kitty litters out there. I keep going back to Tidy Cats.

We use pine pellets at the shelter. No smell - except for the uncovered poop, no dust and dirt cheap. We use a food scoop (no slots) to get the soiled sawdust and poop out then top off. Easy peasy. A bag costs about $7 for 40 pounds here.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Senior Cat

The shelter I volunteer at uses Yesterday's News. It's not dusty in the traditional sense, but the litter does sort of break down into a dusty substance (but doesn't make the air all dusty when you scoop like other litters). Poop is easy to scoop out but pee is a little more difficult since it doesn't clump. The litter absorbs the pee and you can pretty easily tell which parts have been peed in.

The only downside I see is that if the cat is a digger, the pee-soaked litter can easily get mixed in with the clean litter and you may have to completely dump the box more often. As the pee litter sits, it turns into a dust at the bottom of the box.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Cat

I was kinda interested in this since my shelter occasionally uses it. Not sure if my cat would like it but I was worried it was expensive. Dust and litter tracking is a problem for me. Im using Fresh Step now which clumps very well and I dont have to change it very often. I probably will stick with Fresh Step since my cat is fine with it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Tried it, didn't like it for same reason CatMonkeys mentioned....my cats didn't like it either.
I use clumping clay litter (Fresh4Life, Pet Valu's own brand). It's not too dusty and has added baking soda. With this kind of litter you know exactly how much and how often a cat pees...important information to be on top of the start of any urinary issues. With some of the other types of litter like Yesteray's News, or Swheat Scoop, it's impossible to know with much accuracy.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page