Swheat Scoop - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
Swheat Scoop

Anyone here use this type of litter? If so how do you like it? Does it form nice hard clumps without sticking to the box? Do you find that is eliminated #1/#2 odors? Do you ever have a problem with dust?

I have bought so many different types of litter in the past 2 months that I'm getting a headache... I am either allergic to them, they do not control odor, it does not clump well or it smells very bad when they go to the bathroom...

I have tried pine and crystals (did not cover up #2 smell at all). clumping litter (dust was bad, the clumps fell apart or it stick to the box) and I also tried just plain old clay litter which all i could smell was urine...

I know I am being very picky but I loved my Fresh Step and now I cant use it . The only thing I havent tried yet is the wheat and corn based litters...

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Cat

I used it once but I made the mistake of mixing it with a different brand of litter. It didn't clump properly, but probably that was due to mixing brands.

It had a funny smell like bread dough or something.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Senior Cat

I used it for a month last year and from what I remember, it didn't clump as well as I liked and was kind of dusty. It was nice and light, though, compared to clay litter. I think was fine for covering smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Senior Cat

I tried it out and hated it. Love that's it's environmentally friendly, but it's very dusty and didn't clump well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Cat Addict

Have you tried World's Best Cat litter? I did a comparison of that and my usual Tidy Cats just because I was curious (and I had a $3 coupon). So I filled one box up with it to see how long it lasted, how odor control was, how dusty it was, and how well it clumped. It does clump really well if you give it a minute to clump - once you do, it's VERY hard/clumped and does not stick to the box, but if you try to clean to soon, it kind of breaks up and makes a mess. It did last about twice as long as the same amount of Tidy Cats. It was WAY less dusty than Tidy Cats. It controlled odor pretty well too, but I wouldn't say it was any better than Tidy Cats. Honestly, I clean so frequently, odor control isn't a huge concern of mine.

All that said, it's much pricier than Tidy Cats (it goes on sale all of the time and I stock up), so I haven't decided if I'll switch yet....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Cat Addict

Ive been using it for about 4 years and I love it. It clumps well, it can be dusty initially, but the dust doesn't stick to the cats like the clay used to...it doesn't bug my asthma and I think ut does great for odor control, but I feed raw so take that last bit with a grain of salt

Personally, I like it better than world's best. It can have an odor similar to dough, but TBH the clay litters all had so much perfume they kicked my asthma into high gear. Even the supposedly 'unscented' varieties. Ill take dough smell over not breathing every day, lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Premier Cat

I liked almost everything about Swheat Scoop when I used it - the smell was pleasant but not perfume-y, and I think it did a great job of odor control. But the fine sawdusty texture ended up driving me crazy. I use a mini brush & dustpan to sweep up litter around the box after I scoop, and I felt like I could never get rid of all the fine particles.

I use World's Best now. Odor control seems to be fine. As for clumping, it's weird. With one of my kitties, I can scoop a pee clump immediately and it'll be super clumped; the other one's pee takes a lot longer to clump, and if I try to scoop it immediately, it will fall apart. It does make some dust, and it will get dustier as the litter gets more used, but I don't think it's bad at all.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Cat Addict

Oh! I almost forgot! The multicast isnt as good as the regular...I don't know why but the multicast is always duster and, IME, doesn't clump as well!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molldee View Post
I tried it out and hated it. Love that's it's environmentally friendly, but it's very dusty and didn't clump well.
This was my experience, too. My neighbor used it in one box when they went on vacation and I hated it! Didn't clump worth a darn.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
Swheat Scoop

Thank you everyone!!
You just saved me some money... I'm not going to try it especially since most of you said it doesn't clump well.
I'm going to head to the store again today and hope I can find something else to try... I am not giving up, there's got to be something out there that my nose can handle...

And of you have any suggestions let me know!! I scoop the box 2 times a day and I live in a mobile home so it isn't huge, odor control is a must!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page