Calling BC/Lower Mainland people - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Calling BC/Lower Mainland people

Has anyone dealt with any of the local rescues/shelters? My friends want to adopt a cat and since I'm the crazy cat lady and they all ask me for advice. Problem is I have never adopted from a shelter/rescue here. I know VOKRA, the sanctuary in Richmond and the SPCA shelters, but I'm sure there are more. Has anyone dealt with any of them? Good or bad feedback? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Premier Cat

I haven't dealt with any rescues/shelters personally, but I've heard of LAPS (Langley Animal Protection Society) by watching livestream of a foster mom who really had a struggle a few months back with 10 feral kittens without a mother! They were all malnourished, some sick, and couple of kits had ringworms! Just observing her really care for the kittens made the impression that LAPS were a good organization. Their link:
Langley Animal Protection Society
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Banned

Hi zuma !

Back in January, a new member from BC expressed some concerns about one shelter...at least one other BCer posted there also. Here you are: https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...p-avoided.html

You might use the "search" for 'Vancouver' to find other references.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Cat Addict

My vote is always going to be for RAPS. Nope. Not biased at all. But really, they made the city of Richmond no-kill, have banned the sale of dogs in pet stores (and this put a few out of business), and got that law passed about not keeping dogs chained up outside. They also made it mandatory to spay/neuter cats.They also found homes for those ~35 dogs that were dumped outside their doors one night. And of course have the largest cat sanctuary North America...

I don't know about other organizations, but I would check out RAPS and see if they have a cat or kitten that they're interested in. One of the last time I was at their shelter I saw a Burmese and a Bengal.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Premier Cat

I haven't dealt with any of them. There is RAPS in Richmond, VORKA, SPCA, Surrey Animal Resource Center, LAPS in Langley, Delta Community Animal Shelter, CARES in Langely, and Sarah Society.

Someone posted in kijji a list of no kill shelters in the Lower Mainland.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks everyone!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Cat Addict

Here's something interesting I just read about RAPS vs the SPCA. https://m.facebook.com/AnimalAdvocat...58229954272660 I'd known a little about it but never had all the articles laid out together before for comparison.

I don't think the SPCA likes their control taken from them... Richmond is likely the only city in Canada without the SPCA primarily in command.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by marie73; 04-20-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:10 AM
Cat Addict

And I also thought this was pretty inspiring: RAPS, a true no kill shelter

It takes a lot to start up and maintain a place like RAPS.

I'm actually pretty sure Blaze was a kitten trapped by a lady that worked for RAPS in its early days. That was about 19 years ago...

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 04-20-2014 at 03:13 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for links, Carmel. We're going to the RAPS next weeks and these articles make it clear to me that it's the right choice to support them. Sounds like they have their head screwed on straight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page