Switching Litters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Switching Litters

my cat kenji is a 14 pound male with stinky number twos. He some times buries and others don't but even when he does it just smells like you walked into a college dorm boys bathroom. Right now I use the fresh step I had to get more yesterday but they only had the 14 pound box and i get the 20 pound cause his litter box is bigger then most. What litter would be good for his stink? I thought about getting tidy cats cause it has bigger sand but then i thought he would play with it more cause he likes to pee near the lip of his box and litter flies out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

How old is he and what type of food is he eating? It may not be about getting a different litter, but getting a different diet. A lot of times when there is excess odor like that it is due to a diet that is not optimum so the cat is not digesting well. For instance, one of my cats is raw fed and he has almost no odor to his poop, and less volume as well due to his body using the food so efficiently. If he is really young that could be another factor since kittens generally have more odor to their poop, but if he's 14 lbs. already I don't think he can be a kitten lol.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

he is four he is eating taste of the wild he gets wet food two times a week the wet food is frisks. His litter box is a odor less one that is non stick but you can tell when he has gone number two after he has eating. he was found in the desert so he never learned how to do normal cat things like putting him claws back in or learning now to chew wet food we will lick it but not chew it. he also bits at his claws he has always been that way since i got him, could it be he bite at his claws cause of the litter we have always used step fresh for the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Cat Addict

Sorry, can't help with the food issue.

A lot of cats bite at their claws. They do this for grooming, to help the shed the claw sheath and for keeping the claw as trim as possible. Kind of like us bitting our nails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkat View Post
he is four he is eating taste of the wild he gets wet food two times a week the wet food is frisks. His litter box is a odor less one that is non stick but you can tell when he has gone number two after he has eating.
Have you tried other types of cat food before? Some brands or flavors can cause smellier poop due to its ingredients. If your TOTW has fish as the main ingredient, that is likely the cause. Also, if you meant his wet food is "Friskies", then that is also known for odiferous solid waste in most cats. You may consider adding other sources of protein like chicken, turkey, or beef to see if it helps before changing litter brands. The last thing you want is kenji not liking your scented litter and start depositing his smelly waste outside your box.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

When my cats had stinky solid waste, I used a lot of baking soda in my litter and wiped the sides clean using litter box spray and paper towels whenever I scooped. I also scooped between two to three times a day. But a change to the raw diet helped me the most. My litter is now so clean, and last longer that I use less litter to refill the boxes, with two kitties.

Hopefully others can give you more tips, though.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Senior Cat

Same here TabbCatt. Since transitioning to Raw, I can honestly not even tell when there is 'deposit'!! Virtually no smell and 1/3 the size they used to be. BEST THING EVER!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat

his dry food is fish and deer flavor. I will try to find different flavors of wet food i hate how 95% of it all is fish with chicken or fish with this i wonder if cats hate fish but it it cause we give it to them. Has anyone tried the arm and hammer double dutrey cat litter that helps with both kinds of smell not just pee?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Premier Cat

swatkat-
My two kitties loooooove fish. I used to occasionally give them canned fish flavor, so I know what stinky #2s smell like. The smells are worse if their stools are softer than normal, too. There are lots of better quality canned cat food without fish out there, but you won't find those in grocery stores. I used to make sure my cats got a lot of protein by checking the ingredient labels. I chose grain-free because corn, wheat gluten, rice, to me are just "fillers". They need a good, varied sources of protein--chicken, turkey, duck, venison, rabbit, pork, beef, etc. Don't stick to one type...they'll become fish-only addicts! Fish ingredients can cause allergies in cats later on, so I avoid feeding them as a meal now. It is up to you, though. Look up old threads under nutrition to find a huge topic and how it can help cats overall, not just in their poop.

But I totally understand where you're coming from about the smell. It was no picnic for me either.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

he is on grain free dry food and i will try to find a grain free wet food once i'm done with the two cans he has left, thank you for your help guys this summer he will have new litter so now it is just finding the right wet food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page