Humane Society? List of Rescues? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Humane Society? List of Rescues?

How do you feel about the Humane Society? I have some food and a small carrier to donate but when I google rescues all of them are far enough away that I don't have the time or gas money to go to. I used to think of the Humane Society as a good thing but when I was young and poor I brought my dog and cat there to be euthanized when it was time. It was very traumatic for me and then a couple of years later they were accused of botching euthanasia. I will never forgive myself and have always had a vet do it now where I could be there. But now I don't have a good feel for the Humane Society here. Gosh just writing this has me bawling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Each Humane Society is a separate entity and not linked in any way. So my opinion of my local humane society has no value when it comes to other humane societies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Cat

I'm fine with the Humane Society. The shelter where I volunteer provides great care for the animals. I do cat socialization there for about two hours a day each weekday. I can't wait to get there in the morning. Especially on a Monday.

If you want a list of rescues, go to petfinder dot com and put in your zip code. Just look at where the cats or dogs are located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Cat Addict

If by botching, you mean putting down animals that have nothing wrong with them other than something like treatable earmites... then yes, the SPCA has a large list of terrible things that they may frequently put animals to sleep over.

Otherwise, Doodlebug is correct... euthanaizing an animal comes down to calculating dosage. Unless they had a code that was implemented that frequently was on the lower side of dosing the animal, then it merely would come down to the person doing it, and possibly if they were inexperienced or trying to save every drop of the drug they could.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Carmel, I realized it was human error but I will bear the guilt of what could have happened to my beloved friends. I didn't know better and had no money to do anything different at the time. Now I would sell furniture to bring them to a vet while I supervised to make it be the relaxing, loving end to life. This was 30 years ago, I guess it's silly for me to still hold on to it. Thank you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

Cat owner, It's not silly at all...
I think there's a few of us, that are still haunted by the "What Ifs" of some beloved animals in our pasts...

The only thing that helps, is knowing we did our best at the time, with the knowledge we had then...

And we carry those lessons forward, to the animals we love and care for now...
HUGS
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Cat owner, It's not silly at all...
I think there's a few of us, that are still haunted by the "What Ifs" of some beloved animals in our pasts...

The only thing that helps, is knowing we did our best at the time, with the knowledge we had then...

And we carry those lessons forward, to the animals we love and care for now...
HUGS
Sharon

And the "what ifs" can extend to many things in life... that's just part of being human.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Premier Cat

The Humane Society, the SPCA, PETA, even my own shelter I volunteer at all have their warts. I think for the most part there are caring people in each of them. I agree with 10c2d = there are always those regrets we have. For me it was a beautiful stray that I betrayed 20 years ago by giving her away only to find out she was surrendered and almost immediately euthanized by the very shelter I volunteer at now. Thankfully my shelter has progressed into a new state of the art facility and we do not do that any longer. Go ahead and donate your stuff. It is given in good faith by you.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Premier Cat

also, you might even put an ad on Craigslist for people that care for strays or ferals in your local neighborhood.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page