What Is The Best lumping Litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

What Is The Best lumping Litter?

I have always used clay litter. I want to try the clumping litter but do not which one to try. I want one that does not have a lot of dust as it causes my cat to cough. Is there a brand that is pretty much dust free? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I tried to add this to my post but the time limit had past. I have a question about how much clumping litter you use in the litter box. Currently I put about 5 to 6 inches in his litter box as he really likes to dig when he uses the box. Can I still use this much with the clumping litter?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Cat

We use Dr Elsey's Precious cat ultra- very little dust and clumps hard! The nice thing with clumping litter is you don't have to do a complete litter change as often if you scoop daily and keep it deep. We keep our litter about 4" deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Cat Addict

I use Swheat Scoop, and I definitely put in 5-6 inches. My kitties love deep litter, and since their boxes all have deep fronts they don't scoop it out very much.

I prefer a non-clay litter that clumps. Back before I switched to Swheat Scoop I found that the clay litter aggravated my asthma, especially when scooping to cleaning out the boxes, and that my cats always had a thin layer of clay dust on them. I bought the low-dust unscented kind, but still had that problem. Now, with the Swheat scoop it doesn't bug my asthma and they don't have the same film on their coats.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Premier Cat

I like Tidy Cats for multiple cat households. Absorbs the funk better.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for your replies!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Jr. Cat

ARM and HAMMER.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I like Tidy Cats for multiple cat households. Absorbs the funk better.
This is what I use too. I only have 2 boxes but both are the uncovered kind (until recently I used covered but realized Mia was uncomfortable in it for her size). I never smell it. I do scoop every morning though.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Cat Addict

For me, the best clumping litter is also the most dustiest of all of them. Scoop Away. It is great, but when you first pour it, it's a dust cloud. It's awful. But it does settle, after a few minutes. I have found it to be the best clumping stuff. I buy the 35 pounds, that has 2 boxes in one bigger box, and put the entire thing in a large rubbermaid container. This stuff goes the distance. It lasts longer than any other litter. I do also like Arm and Hammer, and then Tidy Cat, however, I don't like the Tidy Cat that has the glade air freshener in it, it is too overpowering, and my cats usually steer clear of the litter box I put that into, so I don't buy that particular one. But Tidy Cat clumps pretty good too. I have four litter boxes, so I am always experimenting with different types of litter, and for me, the Scoop Away is hands down the best at clumping. I even tried a bag of Dr. Elyese, and it was really good, but I still thought Scoop Away was better at clumping. The key is to scoop it every day (a must for my 4 cat 4 litter box household) and to keep it topped off so that it is about 4 inches deep. About once a week (or when it needs it), I wipe down the sides of the litter box. I scoop the litter to one side, wipe it down, and go around and do all the sides, and then I top them off with a little more litter. If I keep them topped and wiped and scooped, I only have to take them out and hose them out about once a month or so. I stagger when I have to do a complete change out, so I only have to do a couple at a time, because MAN is it exhausting having to house and and change 4 at a time, not to mention expensive! One of my cats has a room that only she goes in, so only she has access to that litter box, so it's smaller than the rest, which are giant rubbermaid containers, and that one is much easier to maintain.

I spend a FORTUNE on cat litter and canned cat food!!!!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Bon
Tom Cat

Dr. Elsey's Precious cat - about 4-5" deep cuz one of the 2 kittens REALLY likes to dig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page