Seven Things To Do Before You Bring A Cat Home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Seven Things To Do Before You Bring A Cat Home

New Cats | Seven Things to do Before Bringing Your Cat Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Senior Cat

That's an excellent, comprehensive list! I wonder how many new cat owners actually have all of those items covered before a new cat arrives - I'll bet it's a very low percentage.

Admittedly, I definitely wasn't ready... but then again, my cat just walked into my home unannounced

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Premier Cat

Very Good Sound Advice!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Cat Addict

It is a good list. Oh Emma in and ideal world if people used common sense it would be a much better place all round. I look up on Internet all the time but I still like to ask people who have been through a situation as well. I find you can get so much conflicting information. I like CF because it is by experience that people give advice which I find much more useful. Whatever the problem someone's been through it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Premier Cat

I really like the first one about selecting a pet the ENTIRE family will adjust to. Not much more disappointing than expecting a lap cat and ending up with a fraidy cat.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

#8 Understand the costs of cat ownership...The normal day to day as well as the possible emergency costs. Have a means of obtaining funds for unexpected vet bills whether savings, credit card, borrowing from family or pet insurance.

#9 Learn about cat nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmamotherofcats<3 View Post
Very obvious things that just come naturally - if no one does these things without having to be told I'd be shocked.
The more you hang out here you will realize just how little common sense some people have.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, cost!! I've had people come in to the shelter and complain they didn't have the $25 adoption fee but wanted a cat - have to wait until payday. Really??? I probably have $25 in my coin jar!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Tom Cat

I think people often think a cat is pretty low maintenance and sadly, disposable, if they get ill or injured. I haven't looked at the list! Going to do that now! Ok, did that! Has any one read the recommended book?

Last edited by G-PEG123; 06-14-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Cat

It's a good list, but not everything there is absolutely necessary right away.
For example, even though I have a nail clipper I actually don't clip nails. I did it with Mashka initially, but gave up on it after a while. With my current kittens (almost cats now), I tried, but they screamed like I am killing them. Since they are very good about scratching only where they are supposed to and with keeping their claws retracted when they hit me, I don't really see the pressing need.

Also, regarding "A litter scoop and a receptacle to place soiled litter" - I use a plastic human ladle (of course I only use it for cat - I keep it by the litter box so no danger here) with long holes instead of a litter scoop. I find it more convenient to use since the holes are smaller. I also don't have a receptacle, I simply use small plastic bags and throw them immediately into the garbage can.

I don't have name tag either. If my cats were trying to get out, I'd put the tag on them, but they aren't showing interest. They are microchipped.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I wholeheartedly disagree. Trimming the nails is necessary for several reasons, they can get stuck in things, like window and door screens, and in YOU. My girls hate it, but they get their nails trimmed. Plus, as another member has been posting about, when they roughhouse with each other, they can draw blood without meaning to.

And a litter scoop and receptacle is, of course, necessary. What type is up to you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page