New Cat Litter Ideas--some advice please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Cat Litter Ideas--some advice please!

Hello!

(I've tried posting photos of my kitties but for some reason, the forum isn't letting me *sad face*)

I have 2 litters for 3 of my 2 year old cats, One large one and one medium-small one. They are amazingly adaptable to change. What I've decided to do was to buy 2 wooden chests and place new litters in each of the chests with holes on the sides of the chests so that they can easily access it. It's to make it look like there are no kitty litters in there! It is as though you would see those expensive cat litter furniture things:

no way I'm spending that much on a litter box! I liked my idea better because I got wooden boxes on kijiji for $20-40 each

The one is perfect and fits a medium-large sized litter in it. It has already been used.

The other one I'm not as sure about. The wooden bench is quite long but it is narrow. I can only fit a 13 inch wide box inside it. We got the box from the grocery store. I've placed my largest cat, Kafka, inside the box and inside the bench. He can turn around and sit fine in the box (not that he'll be lounging or sitting in the litter box!). I'm just wondering if that will be okay enough for the cats to use this small-medium sized 13 inch wide box as well as the larger box in the other wooden chest.

I will do my best to send photos of it right away!

We will have the old boxes but I don't really have room for them. One of them we will be giving away. My husband suggested cutting and putting 2 boxes together to make it longer but I don't know how I feel about that.

Any suggestions and advice would be great. Thank you!

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here are the 2 litters. The one with Luna's bum sticking out has already been investigated and used. The long bench one is the one I'm not sure will work the best. We have not put litter in there yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	litter1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	61633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	litter2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	61641  

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Cat Addict

I like those! Especially the second one. My cats do better with an open litter box. I have to keep everything easy in my house, because I have four cats, and I REALLY like for people to not know that I have four cats....or any cats, when they walk into my house. So I have four litter boxes. I have found that a large, rubbermaid (or one like it but not necessarily the name brand) works best. It's large, it's open, they have no problem hopping in it and turning around. I scoop once a day, at the end of the day (you would not even believe the mountain of mostly urine clumps I get at the end of the day) and once a week I wipe down the sides of the litter boxes, with paper towels and a mixture of water and vinegar. Two of my cats lift their butts a little too high, so they do get the sides of the box fairly regularly, but they all (knock on wood) go in the box, so I'll take the peeing on the sides on occasion. But I do keep it wiped down. I shove all the litter to one side and clean, and then do the same for all the sides. If I do this, I find that I only need to take the boxes out and hose them about once a month. I keep adding litter to keep it fairly full, which is the key to keeping it stick to the bottom.

I do like what you have done, seems like a pretty good system. I only spend about $5-7 on the rubbermaid containers, but I spend a small fortune on litter. I find the scoop away scoops really well, and it forms into really tight clumps that are easier to scoop (unless it is wet and then it is a nightmare.....never even try to scoop it if it's still wet just let it dry). Scoop away has a TON of dust though, but it does settle.

I do have one older cat, and I have a litter box that has high sides but is open in the front, easier for her to walk in and out of, and she mostly uses that one, but my others prefer the big rubbermaid boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Premier Cat

I've seen tons of ways online: http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/2...the-litter-box

I love how yours look! Fantastic work! Applause! Bow!

I am, however, a lazy person in a way, because adding an enclosure will only mean that it needs cleaning as well, not just the litter box! I also know that if I don't see their box needs to be cleaned, it's less likley I will!

But if your kitties love it, I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks so much for the input guys!! My cats always had closed boxes and so they're just fine with them Only problem is that a 2 bedroom apartment doesn't leave much space to hide real litter boxes out of plain sight. The 2 litter boxes I purchased for the bench and chest were both less than $10 each.

My only concern will be whether the litter box inside the bench will be too small. On the inside of the chest I have garbage bags and a carpet lining the inside. The other one will be the same. Once I get more photos I will post them up so you can get an idea of what they look like inside. I'm pretty proud of myself for the idea and it doubles as a seating space as well! Woot woot!

Thanks again
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Also, we use a decent litter for our kitties. It's a wheat litter and it's supposed to be good. It works and there's been no litter problems (also knock on wood!) since we've adopted them so I hope it stays that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page