Is neighbor caring for stray cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Is neighbor caring for stray cat?

I posted an earlier thread about this cat;
https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...kin-belly.html

My mother began feeding a stray, but then she had second thoughts because she didn't want to become attached to the cat and adopt him. Her neighbor told her he is feeding the stray twice a day and even plans to take the cat with him when he moves to a new house.

On the surface this is great news. My mother can let her neighbor take responsibility for this stray. Unfortunately, I'm concerned that this neighbor might not be feeding the cat regularly. He seems to be gone for several days and the cat keeps hanging around my mother's house even though she has stopped feeding him. The cat is still a little bit skinny looking. I can feel his hips when I pet his back, but maybe that is normal. Maybe the neighbor is really feeding him and the cat has parasites that keep it skinny in spite of eating enough? I don't know.

His meow is saying "feed me" (it matches my own cat's meow when he wakes me up for breakfast). My mother was giving it canned food, so maybe it simply wants canned food instead of the dry food that her neighbor provides. But I worry that the neighbor is just feeding the stray once in a while for kicks and isn't taking responsibility for him.

I wish I could read his cat mind to find out how the neighbor is treating him. It would be hard for me to adopt this cat, because it would need to be outdoor-only and this isn't a safe area (near a busy street and somebody in the area has a psychological problem and has been killing cats). I already have an indoor cat, and I don't want to disrupt his life.

Last edited by cat-guy; 07-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Cat Addict

With the list of things you have written here it would be kinder for the cat if you could get him into a rescue. They could assess him and treat him for parasites etc. He could get a chance at a family as well. I wouldn't take the neighbours word for caring for him. Also if in the meantime something else happens and he gets killed you and possibly your mom will kick yourself for not having helped the poor boy before.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Premier Cat

There's no way to tell. I agree with Jenny. I'd try to find this cat a nice barn home or home where can safely be indoor AMD outdoor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for those suggestions. I don't know how the cat rescues work. If I took him to the local animal shelter he would probably be euthanized. He is an adult and he only has a couple of inches of tail due to some injury. He is very friendly but he sprays and probably needs to be neutered.

If the neighbor really will take care of the cat then that is great, but some people aren't very responsible with pets. I hope this person is responsible. I guess I will try to pet it so I can watch its health?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Cat Addict

If you go onto the Internet with your area and for rescues you will be surprised how much comes up. Then you can call and ask them. His tail injury is nothing to worry about. Of course he will be a bit skittish with people but a good organisation can work on that. I seriously worry about you leaving this to the unreliable neighbour. When he moves and takes the cat it could be even worse for the cat. For ferals /strays they can take some time to allow petting as they are very wary. However once trapped and brought in they can become good housecats or as MowMow suggested he becomes a barn cat. Please try to find out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-guy View Post
He is very friendly but he sprays and probably needs to be neutered.
The "responsible" thing would be to get him neutered so he he doesn't spend his life fighting and scrapping with other cats... as well as wandering dangerously to find female cats.

Even if the neighbor is feeding him, he's still at high risk of a very early and painful death if he's not neutered (not to mention the huge quantities of kittens he's helping to bring into this world that are suffering).

Last edited by MowMow; 07-21-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: can't seem to type today....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Cat Addict

Does anyone know who is killing the cats in your neighborhood?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
The "responsible" thing would be to get him neutered so he he doesn't spend his life fighting and scrapping with other cats... as well as wandering dangerously to find female cats.

Even if the neighbor is feeding him, he's still at high risk of a very early and painful death if he's not neutered (not to mention the huge quantities of kittens he's helping to bring into this world that are suffering).
I agree with you that neutering is important. I'm attaching a picture of his rear-end, in hopes that someone can tell me if he needs to be neutered. I see a couple of bumps, but I've heard neutered males also have bumps.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
Does anyone know who is killing the cats in your neighborhood?
I have no idea. This area is commercial (mechanic shops, warehouses, etc.) A nearby mechanic shop has found three cats that somebody killed. (The last one was his own outdoor pet cat.)

So if I adopted this stray, I would need to keep it indoors. I have a 7 year old male cat that might feel hurt if I brought home another cat.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Kitten

Looks to me like he may still have some testicles there but they look a little small, so not sure.

The bets thing you can do is to speak to this neighbor and be frank but not confrontational or accusing. Say you are worried about the cat especially due to the fact that you are not sure that he is being fed regularly as he keeps coming round looking for food.

The cats welfare is the most important and if your neighbour cannot comit to looking after the cat every day then yes a rescue center is the best option.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page