cat carriers... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

cat carriers...

How many cats do you have and do you have a carrier for each cat?

We have 3 carriers.. One large one for Stache or Simba . one medium size one and one small/medium one.

Someone on facebook is selling a carrier that seemed a bit larger then two that I have.

so I asked mom if we could get it...and she said no..we have 3. I said it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one in the house. (we have 7 cats)... she still said no.

I really think we should get that extra carrier..i mean...what happens if we had to leave in an emergency and all of the cats had to be wrangled up. 3 carriers and 7 cats would be hard. 4 would be a little easier..

we only use the carriers for vet trips. its not like they are out in open taking up space. they are put away in the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Cat Addict

I have 4 carriers (2 small, 1 medium, and 1 large-ish), but if I'm honest I should buy at least one more.

I see it this way; in the event of an emergency where I needed to move all my animals could I do so safely?

-I have 4 cats, Torri and Jitzu each need personal space, they would get the smaller individual kennels. Doran and Muffin can safely travel together (and seem to prefer it), so they'd get the medium sized one.

-Then I'd be stuffing all 3 of my giunea pigs into the bigger kennel. That doesn't seem like a big deal, but they definitely need more room and it's much harder to find safe confinement for piggies than for cats - so in an emergency they'd likely be stuck in the kennel far longer than the cats would.

-On top of that I have zero plans for how I'd evacuate the toads, and the geckos would get stuck in ziplock containers with holes hastily poked in the lids...

I am completely willing to admit my 'plan' is far from flawless. However, day-to-day the number of kennels we have serves us well. *shrugs*

Overall, I feel like you should have the minimum number of kennels required to transport all your pets in the event of an emergency; if not in full comfort then at least in some sort of safe and managable way. For example, I would NEVER kennel Jitzu or Torri with the boys - not safe. So, if you have compatible kitties who CAN share space make sure you have large enough kennels that they can do so without too much over crowding.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Cat Addict

We had fires here recently and I panicked because I only had one carrier for 2 cats that would not do well together in a carrier. I ran out and got one new and returned it when I didn't use it. I bought another one I liked better for cheaper after. I feel better knowing I have one for each but 7 cats...... One more would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Premier Cat

I have one for each cat in case we have to evacuate. I have a few extras from the shelter in the attic too...just in case I have to mass transport anyone one.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Premier Cat

I've slowly worked at getting enough for Everyone!
Which I now have...
I have a combination of soft and hard carriers, which will be fine for my "crew"!!
Mine are kept very handy, in the garage.

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Premier Cat

You can usually find them pretty cheap at thrift stores - most of mine were under $10. Take them apart and store them out of the way (just don't lose the fasteners). I would never have less than one for each cat I have because you never know when a catastrophe can happen. Hurricane? Flooding? Fire? Smoke from a neighbor's fire? You just never know.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Kitten

I have two cats and two carriers. the cats will fight if they have to be in the same one, especially during a trip to the vets. But they do like to be able to see each other so I have made sure they have lots of viewing holes in them.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Cat Addict

We have 2 and 2 cats plus a travel kennel in case we ever had to leave our home and stay somewhere or travel a long way so we have an extra accomodation / travel option.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Cat Addict

Three cats, 2 carriers.

One of the carriers can easily take two, probably all three! (it's huge lol), but my oldest cat would spit herself into a frenzy if I had her confined with the other two in that carrier. It is really more for travel, so they aren't cramped up. They can stand and stretch, which is nice, however, we and the kitties don't do road trips, except to the vets.

I have a regular size carrier. This is the carrier I use for vet visits (thats the only place they go! lol)

But, in an emergency, I can easily put Sadie & Belle (very bonded pair) in the bigger one, and maintain my B.B.'s sanity and put her in the single cat model LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Tom Cat

One cat-4 carriers. But Casey goes in the larger one, the rabbit and ferret have their own and there medium sized. We have an extra for any fosters. Living in tornado ally we have to have a plan. If there is a tornado producing storm near all animals are put in carriers except the dogs. I make sure leashes are by the door(have a cellar so have to go outside to get to the "basement"). I want to get Casey a larger soft crate. She is weird and acts like a dog haha. She LOVES her carrier and I can find her sleeping in it a lot. So I want to get a larger soft crate so it's more comfortable.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page