Large Cat Cages - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Large Cat Cages

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 cages? I'm not sure which is a better quality/buy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Is he going to live in this thing full time or is it just someplace to store him when he's not supervised until he gets older?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

He will need to be in there until he is tame enough to be trusted. He still hisses at me, so I highly doubt it would be a safe idea to leave him lose in the house until he learns to trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned

Well, I don't know about the hissing, but it definitely isn't safe to leave him loose in the house when you aren't there with all those big dogs around, especially since some are less than enthusiastic about him from what I gathered.

How long have you had him? Are you doing intensive socialization with him, i.e. handfeeding (baby food, etc), lots of cuddling and massaging, etc? It would be best to win him over before he gets too old if any way possible for optimum results.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

I wasn't trying to offend, we've had more than one person come here looking for a cage to keep their cats in full time ...as in forever.

Keeping him in there to socialize him 'seems' like a good idea to me (someone with better kitten knowledge might know better).

If it were my choice, I'd pick the one with 3 perches. The dimensions are marginally bigger and there would be room under the bottom perch (it looks like) for his litter box so he can get well away from it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Is he going to live in this thing full time or is it just someplace to store him when he's not supervised until he gets older?
I store my girls in big plastic bins, with holes punched in them for air.

Keeps them fresh while I'm at work. (like the little bratz aren't fresh enough!)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

I don't have any dogs and my place is farely well cat protected. I only live in a one bedroom apartment so its not like its an overly large place anyway but I have always just let mine rome. Even after I had Norville for 2 weeks I let him too. Before that I kept him in his carrier while I was gone. He was 3 1/2 to 4 weeks when I got him so at least by 6 weeks he was out roaming on his on but Mia takes very good care of him too, the little (3 year old) Mommy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Well, I don't know about the hissing, but it definitely isn't safe to leave him loose in the house when you aren't there with all those big dogs around, especially since some are less than enthusiastic about him from what I gathered.

How long have you had him? Are you doing intensive socialization with him, i.e. handfeeding (baby food, etc), lots of cuddling and massaging, etc? It would be best to win him over before he gets too old if any way possible for optimum results.
I'm trying the best I can in taming him but I have very limited time as I am going to school full-time and none of the cat rescues I've contacted have responded. He won't let me touch him but has started to take soft food from a spoon through the crate he's in now. I will not be keeping him forever, I just want to give him a chance to be an indoor cat instead of an outdoor feral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I wasn't trying to offend, we've had more than one person come here looking for a cage to keep their cats in full time ...as in forever.

Keeping him in there to socialize him 'seems' like a good idea to me (someone with better kitten knowledge might know better).

If it were my choice, I'd pick the one with 3 perches. The dimensions are marginally bigger and there would be room under the bottom perch (it looks like) for his litter box so he can get well away from it.
No, my intention is not to keep him in there forever. I want to get him ready to be adopted but seems like time is standing still.

I will probably get the one with the three perches, thank you for the input.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

Looking at both, I also vote for the one with the three perches!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Premier Cat

We use these tall cages at the shelter and they are fine. I bought two of these below recently because I wanted more floor space in the cage versus vertical space and I like the double doors - I especially like the large side entrance door. I have hammocks in them which the kittens love. I have both of mine on a folding table to raise it off the floor and make it easier to get in to. Too old the stoop down much.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page