Cat Litter Questions for cats with CH? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat Litter Questions for cats with CH?

So both my new kittens have Cerebellar Hypoplasia (1 is mild, 1 is moderate),
they're currently used to a regular, clumping clay cat litter.
Because I have a dog, clay cat litter isn't safe to use(incase she eats some), so I'm looking for alternatives.
My current cat is just using recycled newspaper pellets, but I'm not sure how to go about transitioning the kittens on to this, or if pellets are feasible with their disabilities.

If anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Cat Addict

I don't see why the pellets wouldn't work. I might start with the litter not particularly deep, and see how they handle it, but I think it should be fine.

You could also look at Swheat Scoop or ...that corn litter that I cannot recall the name of... Those clump, but would be safe for your dog (and the kittens) if they were ingested. They also have the same texture as clay litter.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Premier Cat

Kaye,
Is there one room you could gate off from the dog, that the kittens could call their very own safe room?
I've done this in my house and it works beautifully! The cats, if they want to use their litter boxes, snooze or play with their toys, can do so, without any interference from my dogs...
And it definitely takes care of any dog that considers kitty poo, to be the equivalent of a Tootsie roll or almond roca!
The clumping litter they're used to, will also control odors a lot better.
Dogs should not be eating kitty poo!
It's not healthy for them, makes their breath stink...and as for getting a doggie kiss...ewwww!!!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Cat Addict

I know this is gross...but it actually isn`t unhealthy for a dog to eat poo. Assuming it`s not rolled in clay litter of course.

Dogs do eat poop. Goose poop, rabbit poop, cow poop, horse poop, other dog`s poop. They`ll eat it. There`s nothing wrong with them eating plain old poop (but if your dog does eat poo from wild animals they should probably be dewormed every 3 months or so, just for safety`s sake), it`s gross to us, but not actually unhealthy.

It DOES make their breath stink, and grosses us out, but realistically those are the only reasons to prevent it.

Lol, sorry Sharon!

That being said, a dog-free zone isn`t a bad idea. Especially since your kittens may have a tougher time than most accessing a box, and that sort of accommodation could mean you can`t prevent the dog from getting into the box without fully restricting them from the area.

Since they are kittens I`d still suggest switching the litter from clay clumping litter since kittens sometimes nibble their litter, and the clay kind is NOT meant to be ingested. I use Swheat Scoop, but the newspaper pellets would likely be fine too.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Kaye,
Is there one room you could gate off from the dog, that the kittens could call their very own safe room?
I've done this in my house and it works beautifully! The cats, if they want to use their litter boxes, snooze or play with their toys, can do so, without any interference from my dogs...
And it definitely takes care of any dog that considers kitty poo, to be the equivalent of a Tootsie roll or almond roca!
The clumping litter they're used to, will also control odors a lot better.
Dogs should not be eating kitty poo!
It's not healthy for them, makes their breath stink...and as for getting a doggie kiss...ewwww!!!
Sharon
The dog is currently blocked off in my room while I am away(since the kittens are still new), however I don't want this to be a regular thing, as she's used to having the run of the whole house. I keep a litter box in every room, to ensure that the cats can go where ever they want. They will have a room blocked off for them always but they have a hard time aiming their bodies thorugh the opening of the baby gate.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

LOL! Becky this from this book on dogs:
Attachment 68937
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409079730204.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	68945

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

Rats! Try this again!Click image for larger version

Name:	1409079808105.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	68953

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
I know this is gross...but it actually isn`t unhealthy for a dog to eat poo. Assuming it`s not rolled in clay litter of course.

Dogs do eat poop. Goose poop, rabbit poop, cow poop, horse poop, other dog`s poop. They`ll eat it. There`s nothing wrong with them eating plain old poop (but if your dog does eat poo from wild animals they should probably be dewormed every 3 months or so, just for safety`s sake), it`s gross to us, but not actually unhealthy.

It DOES make their breath stink, and grosses us out, but realistically those are the only reasons to prevent it.

Lol, sorry Sharon!

That being said, a dog-free zone isn`t a bad idea. Especially since your kittens may have a tougher time than most accessing a box, and that sort of accommodation could mean you can`t prevent the dog from getting into the box without fully restricting them from the area.

Since they are kittens I`d still suggest switching the litter from clay clumping litter since kittens sometimes nibble their litter, and the clay kind is NOT meant to be ingested. I use Swheat Scoop, but the newspaper pellets would likely be fine too.
I'm not worried at all about her eating the poop, she eats goat and horse poop all the time at the barn, and cleans up after the rabbit has her floor time. She gets into the cat's poop too sometimes but she prefers the rabbit poop.

I'm definitely going to check out the corn cob litter, as it will work better for the kittens and my current cat, and I don't have to worry about the dog getting hurt by it.

I do have a baby gate with a cat door set up in front of the spare bedroom, where the cat tree and toys are, but the kittens have a hard time getting through the opening with their CH, and if the opening is any bigger, then the dog can crawl through it... so I'm kind of at an impasse with that one (no pun intended)

I do make sure that there is a litter box in every room, since I have a large house I don't want the kittens to have to go far to have access to a box.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Cat Addict

Sharon, I can see the pic, but it's too small for me to read the words. :/

There are many species (some canids even!) that practice corophagia as a normal and healthy part of digestion. Guinea pigs, rabbits, hares, arctic foxes...I'm sure there are many others too!

There are a lot of myths about why dogs eat poop, but it generally comes down to 'because, to them, it smells good'. *shrugs*

Kayepaye, it sounds like you're doing all the right things...the only other option you could try is facing the entrance to the litter box towards a wall - leaving just enough room for the kittens to sneak in. The trouble there, again, is the difficulty these particular kittens might have in getting into such a small space. As a temporary measure I'd lock the kittens up when you're not home. It won't hurt them at all, and might be good for their litter box habits and home (you'd be amazed what kittens can get into in a short period of time...) and letting your dog roam free.

Last edited by librarychick; 08-26-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Premier Cat

Yeah...Sorry about the pic!

What this vet says:
"Most of the time, eating feces is simply a bad habit. It's also unhealthy--it can transmit intestinal parasites, contribute to tooth decay, and cause stomach problems. "

So I wasn't pulling something out of thin air!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page