Non clumping litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Question Non clumping litter

I recently bought some litter and we got non clumping by mistake. What is the purpose for this type of litter? I don't think it controls oder as well as the clumping and since
it doesn't clump, I find it very hard to clean the box. Am I missing something? It's the Tidy Cat which is the brand we always use, but we use the clumping kind.

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Tom Cat

I used non clumping for years. Every week I threw it out and replaced it with new. I never picked out the poop or anything. It seemed to work okay. It was the fleet Farm brand.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Jr. Cat

i read non clumping the use would be for new kittens learning, because they all like to taste the litter...clumping could cause blockages. what i found in my reading on catinfo.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, non clumping litter wouldn't be acceptable for me and my indoor only kitties. I think it's probably better for indoor/outdoor kitties who may occasionally use the litter box and you can dispose the litter as needed.

Maybe a return/exchange can be done at the store you originally purchased it from? If not,I'd donate it out right away and get clumping version, but that's me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Jr. Cat

could always take it back to the store and exchange for the correct type that is if u didn't use it all. ^^ good luck with it. I useto use tidy cats but than the clumping vary in tubs... sometimes be super absorbant than it wasn't and fall apart and smell like ammonia! Ugh no litter is perfect...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Cat

I accidentally bought nonclumping scented litter. My bathroom started to smell like poop, pee, cat litter and air freshener. It was a lovely scent to get bombarded with as soon as you opened the door. My cat was also peeing in my bed because I wasn't getting the box clean enough. I won't make that mistake again. I bought super clumping and the smell is gone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I never thought about it being good for kittens and i've never had outdoor. Also glad to hear it isn't just me. We'll see if we can return it and if not, it's our loss. I'll read the label better in the future for sure.

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Cat

If it's opened donate to local cat shelter. Unopened return to store for credit. If it's me, I would just donate to my local cat shelter. It's a greater pleasure to drive to a cat shelter to donate than to drive to the store to return.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf&Endor View Post
If it's opened donate to local cat shelter. Unopened return to store for credit. If it's me, I would just donate to my local cat shelter. It's a greater pleasure to drive to a cat shelter to donate than to drive to the store to return.
You're right...have to agree with that

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
I use to use fresh step non-scoopable before I knew better. Even with all the perfumes it still smelled like pee and with one cat I was replacing it 2-3 times a week with daily poop scoopings...
I guess it is personal preference but I use strictly clumping now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page